1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What universities should I apply to?

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    Hi! I currently live in New Zealand and am in Year 11/Grade 10. Naturally as this is a physics forum I have been interested in doing physics degree when I leave high school. If I were to stay in New Zealand for undergraduate I would be going to the University of Auckland. What are your thoughts on its physics program. However overseas study interests me a lot and I would like to try applying to some. What universitys would you recommend (doesn't have to be US) that have high quality undergraduate programs and... are not overly expensive. Ideally I do not want to be paying ridiculous amounts of money for my education.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2
    Have you toured the University of Auckland yet? Have you looked at Australian Universities?

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    No not yet, am planning to do this year. I've been to a few public lectures there though, heard some really cool people so far, Chris Lindott and William D Phillips!
    I have been doing some research on Australian Universities , in particular University of Melbourne. One thing I like about UOA is that they offer a full paid scholarship for the first three years of your undergraduate studies. About 100 are given out each year. I think this is reachable for me.

Thanks for the reply!

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For Australian universities in Physics, your best choices are (in decreasing order): The Australian National University, the University of Melbourne and the University of Queensland.

(ETA, but all of these would be solid choices.)

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not Monash? They have some really good people there: Balasz, Skands and now Valencia.

7. Feb 11, 2016 #6

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Monash would be up there (together with USyd, Uni Adelaide.), but I wouldn't put them in my top 3 for undergraduate physics degree in Australia. Maybe #4?

(ETA: This is a bit subjective, but also, ANU, Uni Melb and UQ are pretty consistently ranked the highest in the country. Depending on the metric, ANU and Uni Melb sometimes switch places.)

(ETA2: Also, all of the people you mentioned are HEP theorists, but there's more to a good physics undergraduate degree than HEP theorists).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook