What universities should I apply to?

In summary, Australian universities have high-quality undergraduate programs, but they can be expensive.
achappell2001
Hi! I currently live in New Zealand and am in Year 11/Grade 10. Naturally as this is a physics forum I have been interested in doing physics degree when I leave high school. If I were to stay in New Zealand for undergraduate I would be going to the University of Auckland. What are your thoughts on its physics program. However overseas study interests me a lot and I would like to try applying to some. What universitys would you recommend (doesn't have to be US) that have high quality undergraduate programs and... are not overly expensive. Ideally I do not want to be paying ridiculous amounts of money for my education.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you toured the University of Auckland yet? Have you looked at Australian Universities?

Likes achappell2001
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you toured the University of Auckland yet? Have you looked at Australian Universities?

No not yet, am planning to do this year. I've been to a few public lectures there though, heard some really cool people so far, Chris Lindott and William D Phillips!
I have been doing some research on Australian Universities , in particular University of Melbourne. One thing I like about UOA is that they offer a full paid scholarship for the first three years of your undergraduate studies. About 100 are given out each year. I think this is reachable for me.

Thanks for the reply!

For Australian universities in Physics, your best choices are (in decreasing order): The Australian National University, the University of Melbourne and the University of Queensland.

(ETA, but all of these would be solid choices.)

Likes achappell2001
Not Monash? They have some really good people there: Balasz, Skands and now Valencia.

Monash would be up there (together with USyd, Uni Adelaide.), but I wouldn't put them in my top 3 for undergraduate physics degree in Australia. Maybe #4?

(ETA: This is a bit subjective, but also, ANU, Uni Melb and UQ are pretty consistently ranked the highest in the country. Depending on the metric, ANU and Uni Melb sometimes switch places.)

(ETA2: Also, all of the people you mentioned are HEP theorists, but there's more to a good physics undergraduate degree than HEP theorists).

1. What factors should I consider when choosing which universities to apply to?

When deciding which universities to apply to, it is important to consider factors such as academic programs, location, campus culture, cost, and career opportunities. Think about what you want to study, where you want to live, and what kind of campus environment you are looking for. Also, consider the cost of tuition and living expenses, as well as the potential job prospects after graduation.

2. How many universities should I apply to?

The number of universities you should apply to depends on your personal preferences and circumstances. Some students choose to apply to a few schools that they are highly interested in, while others apply to a larger number of schools to increase their chances of acceptance. It is important to find a balance and apply to a range of universities that you feel would be a good fit for you.

3. Should I only apply to highly-ranked universities?

While highly-ranked universities may have a good reputation, it is not the only factor to consider. You should also look at the specific academic programs, campus culture, and other factors that are important to you. Don't limit yourself to only applying to highly-ranked universities, as there are many excellent universities that may be a better fit for your personal and academic goals.

4. Is it important to visit the universities before applying?

Visiting universities is not always possible for everyone, but it can be helpful in making a decision. If you are able to visit the universities you are considering, it can give you a better sense of the campus environment, facilities, and overall feel of the university. However, if you are unable to visit, you can also research and reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the university.

5. How can I find out more about a university's academic programs?

You can find information about a university's academic programs on their website, in their course catalog, or by reaching out to the admissions office. You can also attend college fairs, information sessions, or virtual events to learn more about a university's academic offerings. Additionally, you can connect with current students or alumni to get an insider's perspective on the academic programs at a university.