The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,996
Ahh... my brain is broken - I cannot think of any more cartoon cats! I'll look some more. Don't worry, this is a good clue. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,997
wolram said:
A cartoon cat, and this thing goes round and round.
I thought it was a person!

• #1,998
Mk said:
I thought it was a person!

The cat part of the clue is inventor name, the round and round the invention.

• #1,999
Recently after James GARFIELD was shot, a poor, uneducated spinner and weaver, James Hargreaves conceived the idea for the machine when he observed a spinning wheel accidentally overturned; as the spindle continued to revolve while upright, he reasoned that many spindles could be so turned, and went on to construct the first spinning jenny (patented 1770) with which one person could spin several threads at once.

Probably not, but it [doesn't work] well.

• #2,000
In 1891, Thomas Edison (as in Tom and Jerry) built a Kinetoscope, which spins around. This device was installed in penny arcades, where people could watch short, simple films. This was especially important to Thomas Edison because he had been searching for a way to entertain customers that were listening to music on his phonograph, which spins around.

yay! I got the 2,000th post!

• #2,001
OH! I was going to say Thomas Edison for lots of stuff too! :grumpy: Mk, you will be my new nemesis.

• #2,002
It goes round and round not up and down, this was the key to the invention.

• #2,003
I think he was the first cartoon cat.

• #2,004
Mk said:
In 1891, Thomas Edison (as in Tom and Jerry) built a Kinetoscope, which spins around. This device was installed in penny arcades, where people could watch short, simple films. This was especially important to Thomas Edison because he had been searching for a way to entertain customers that were listening to music on his phonograph, which spins around.

yay! I got the 2,000th post!

Congratulations MK, you win a free go
:biggrin:

• #2,005
wolram said:
What about one oh those beautiful Kia's cat?

• #2,006
Was that the answer?

Who was the cat? Some say Krazy Kat, but I think you meant Felix.

• #2,007
Last edited:
  • #2,008
honestrosewater said:
Felix Wankel, rotary engine? (I swear we had this clue already - it was a picture clue.) I'm sure that's the answer, mister. Goes round and round (rotary thingy), as opposed to up and down (pistons - I know pistons go up and down! Right?)

Yep, here 'tis: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=594193&highlight=wankel#post594193
And I answered it! :rolleyes:

You clever old thing, :rofl: Your turn Rose, but MK has a free go.

• #2,009
Heh, Wankel. :cool:

These two are real characters; one trails the other and fire trails them both.

• #2,010
wolram said:
Which one was it?

Arctodus's largest skull ever found was found by a gold miner, whose home is closest to a US state that has a captial that is the opposite of Rome in what way?

I'm going to sleep, and will be back here in approximately 12 hours, if you have found your answer you will be sure. Spell out your process and provide the next question.

I was going to post a hint but decided not to, I'm sure you'll find the shortcut and/or solve it before I awaken.

• #2,011
Yukon (home) -> Alaska (state) -> Janeau (capital) -> ??

• #2,012
Was he Alaskan or no?

• #2,013
While things are quite i will sneak this one in.

You are looking for some thing that connects.

A statue in birmingham A.

Oppenheimer

Icarus

And the Blue danube.

• #2,014
wolram said:

Oppenheimer

Icarus

And the Blue danube.
Wax?...

• #2,015
wolram said:

Oppenheimer

Icarus

And the Blue danube.

This is crazy dude...I need another hint.

• #2,016
Townsend said:
This is crazy dude...I need another hint.

just one more clue "V".

• #2,017
wolram said:
just one more clue "V".

Vulcan is the god of fire and Oppenheimer worked on the first atomic bomb so there is some connection there but what that has to do with Icarus or a dance is beyond me... :confused: :redface:

• #2,018
Townsend said:
Vulcan is the god of fire and Oppenheimer worked on the first atomic bomb so there is some connection there but what that has to do with Icarus or a dance is beyond me... :confused: :redface:

You have 90% of clue solved. "V".

• #2,019
honestrosewater said:
Yukon (home) -> Alaska (state) -> Janeau (capital) -> ??
Yes, Juneau is the answer, and it is opposite from Rome, which all roads lead to, because no roads at all lead to Juneau.

wolram said:

Oppenheimer

Icarus

And the Blue danube.

No hints yet, this one sounds [do-able without them].

Last edited:
  • #2,020
Connections

Vulcan, (featuring the god Vulcan at his forge) the largest cast iron statue in the world which was first cast for the 1904 St. Louis Exposition, and displayed on top of Red Mountain in 1938.

There may be a connection with the sun: Atomic bombs harness "the power of the sun", Icarus's wings melted because of the sun... exploding Blue Danube? Heat.

Daedalus, Icarus's father arrived safe in Sicily, where he built a temple to Apollo, and hung up his wings, an offering to the god. Apollo, in modern times has became in part confused or equated with Helios, god of the sun.

Vulcanoids are theoretical asteroids that may orbit in a dynamically stable zone between 0.08 and 0.21 astronomical units from the Sun.

1566 Icarus was an asteroid discovered in 1949 by Walter Baade

That backs up the sun idea more.

"The devil take the waltz, my only regret is for the coda—I wish that had been a success." Strauss once said.
Devil -> Satan -> Hell -> Heat -> Flames -> that stuff

A sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus takes advantage of the piece's fame, featuring, in typical Monty Python fashion, "the exploding version of the Blue Danube."
So the Blue Danube can explode...

Last edited:
  • #2,021
honestrosewater said:
Heh, Wankel. :cool:

These two are real characters; one trails the other and fire trails them both.
Well "real" rules out all my mythology answers.

The Lockheed SR-71 Type A "Blackbird," has exactly two pilots, one in front of the other, and fire trails them both. Correct?

• #2,022
Mk said:
Vulcan, (featuring the god Vulcan at his forge) the largest cast iron statue in the world which was first cast for the 1904 St. Louis Exposition, and displayed on top of Red Mountain in 1938.

There may be a connection with the sun: Atomic bombs harness "the power of the sun", Icarus's wings melted because of the sun... exploding Blue Danube? Heat.

Daedalus, Icarus's father arrived safe in Sicily, where he built a temple to Apollo, and hung up his wings, an offering to the god. Apollo, in modern times has became in part confused or equated with Helios, god of the sun.

Vulcanoids are theoretical asteroids that may orbit in a dynamically stable zone between 0.08 and 0.21 astronomical units from the Sun.

1566 Icarus was an asteroid discovered in 1949 by Walter Baade

That backs up the sun idea more.

"The devil take the waltz, my only regret is for the coda—I wish that had been a success." Strauss once said.
Devil -> Satan -> Hell -> Heat -> Flames -> that stuff

A sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus takes advantage of the piece's fame, featuring, in typical Monty Python fashion, "the exploding version of the Blue Danube."
So the Blue Danube can explode...
I was following most of that and then I remembered the link with extrasolar planets.

Vulcan Camera Project is searching for extrasolar planets using transit photometry

S. J. Icarus - THE Reference

Caltech astronomer Ben Oppenheimer, who helped to discover the apparent brown dwarf, Gliese 229 B, is part of a growing group that would like to define a brown dwarf as an substellar object with the mass of 13 to 80 (or so) Jupiters. While these objects cannot fuse "regular" hydrogen (a single proton nucleus) like stars, they have enough mass to briefly fuse deuterium (hydrogen with a proton-neutron nucleus). Therefore, stellar companions with less than 13 Jupiter masses would be defined as planets.

Quantum Teleportation across the Danube

SETI

Last edited:
  • #2,023
Mk said:
Well "real" rules out all my mythology answers.

The Lockheed SR-71 Type A "Blackbird," has exactly two pilots, one in front of the other, and fire trails them both. Correct?

To be correct I believe the person in the back is not a pilot but more like a weapons guy..

• #2,024
Townsend said:
To be correct I believe the person in the back is not a pilot but more like a weapons guy..
:confused: That aeroplane doesn't contain nor can hold any weapons, it is only for reconnaissance.

But now that I think about it, the second guy may not be a pilot. But what is he?

• #2,025
Mk said:
:confused: That aeroplane doesn't contain nor can hold any weapons, it is only for reconnaissance.

But now that I think about it, the second guy may not be a pilot. But what is he?
Officially he is the 'observer' ... he handles the equipment.

• #2,026
My equipment is for the ladies only.

• #2,027
Mk said:
My equipment is for the ladies only.
No ... Like another Perter Sellers Movie Chance. "I like to watch." :tongue2:

• #2,028
I thought the second guy was the navigator??

None are correct yet. The 2 characters have 22 friends.

• #2,029
honestrosewater said:
I thought the second guy was the navigator??

None are correct yet. The 2 characters have 22 friends.
Does it have to do with math? I get where you're going with charachter, and looking for the answer.

Last edited:
  • #2,030
Mk said:
Does it have to do with math? I get where you're going with charachter, and looking for the answer.

Ahhhh HAAAAAAAAAAA! I got it. Alpha and Beta from the alpha-numeric 24 letter greek alphabet!