What will be the speed of light?

In summary: THAT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW IF THEY ARE INTERESTED IN PHYSICS. In summary, the speed of light is always the same, regardless of whether you are moving towards or away from the source of the light.
Sanket Karnik
Hi friends! I was reading a book in which it was mentioned that the speed of light does not changes if we move towards its source or move away from it. Now the question comes in my mind as follows;
suppose a space shuttle is moving in space with velocity almost equal to that of light. It has two headlights. what aill be the speed of light from those headlights? will speed of space shuttle get added to it? if not then what will be the distance traveled by the light coming from the headlights?

Science news on Phys.org
Sanket Karnik said:
Hi friends! I was reading a book in which it was mentioned that the speed of light does not changes if we move towards its source or move away from it. Now the question comes in my mind as follows;
suppose a space shuttle is moving in space with velocity almost equal to that of light. It has two headlights. what aill be the speed of light from those headlights? will speed of space shuttle get added to it? if not then what will be the distance traveled by the light coming from the headlights?

Welcome to PF! The speed of light is always the same, hence being a constant.

If you were traveling at .9C (thats 90% of the speed of light) and you turned on your headlights the light would travel at the same speed regardless of how fast you were going.

IIRC this is covered by special relativity

The true formula how to add speeds is this one:

[tex]v_3=\frac{v_1+v_2}{1+\frac{v_1v_2}{c^2}}[/tex]

You see that the lower part is normally (for normal human speeds) very close to one and this is why people thought for a long time that velocities simply add.

Sanket Karnik said:
The head lights will send out rays of light at the speed of light as measured from inside the space shuttle. They will also be measured as the speed of light from outside, say, on Earth.

How? Time dilation.

(With very round numbers. No time to get exact.)
The shuttle is moving at a significant fraction of c, therefore its occupants are time-dilated. In the time the light travels one light second, and the space shuttle has traveled .9 light seconds, the shuttle's occupants have only experienced one tenth of a second, so they should measure the light as having traveled only 1/10 of a light second. After a full second they will have seen it travel a full light second beyond their nose.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would say that this question should be added to the FAQ (I have seen at least three threads in the past two weeks asking a similar question about exceeding the speed of light).

mishrashubham said:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would say that this question should be added to the FAQ (I have seen at least three threads in the past two weeks asking a similar question about exceeding the speed of light).

I second that and would add that there ought to be several such items in the thread and label it something like INCREDIBLY BASIC COSMOLOGICAL CONCEPTS

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant in the universe that represents the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) in a vacuum.

2. How was the speed of light determined?

The speed of light was first determined by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century. He observed that the timing of eclipses of Jupiter's moons varied depending on the relative positions of Earth and Jupiter, and used this to calculate the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth.

3. Has the speed of light always been constant?

Yes, the speed of light has been measured to be constant since the late 19th century. This is supported by various experiments and observations, including the Michelson-Morley experiment which showed no variation in the speed of light due to Earth's motion.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate limit for the speed of anything in the universe. While there have been some claims of particles traveling faster than light, these have not been substantiated and are not accepted by the scientific community.

5. Will the speed of light ever change?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the speed of light can change. However, some theoretical models, such as string theory, propose that the speed of light may have been different in the early universe. These theories are still being studied and researched.