What will happen if two ends of diode are joined?

• Thread starter vkash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary: D. (2017). Semiconductor Physics and Technology (3rd ed.).In summary, a diode is a device that allows current to flow in only one direction. When two ends of a diode are joined, a potential difference (voltage) is created across the depletion region. If we consider this as a battery, there is a potential for current to flow continuously through the external joint, however I think there would be very little current flow because of the flow of current causing I2R losses.
vkash
Here i am discussing about diode made up of p-n junction.

what will happen if we join two ends of diode?
Due to diffusion, there is a potential difference across depletion region.if we consider this as a battery(can we do so?) then there will be flow of continuous current through the external joint.
But i think there will no flow of current or very little flow of current because flow of current will cause I^2 R losses, since our source has no stored energy in it so it can not transfer a continuous supply of current.

please tell me your answer. and also don't forget to write where am i wrong in my explanation(i know that is wrong)...

Engineering news on Phys.org
you have just shorted out the diode so the current will flow through the short circuit

Dave

Try it, and use your tools (hopefully a multimeter at a minimum) to see what is going on. Diodes are cheap and plentiful, so the experiment won't cost you much.

The width of the PN junction changes until the potential minimises and then no more current will flow.

vkash,

I can't believe I am seeing a question like this, since semiconductor texts explain this so thoroughly.

what will happen if we join two ends of diode?

See attachment.

Due to diffusion, there is a potential difference across depletion region.if we consider this as a battery(can we do so?) then there will be flow of continuous current through the external joint.

No, a battery is a chemical to electrical energy converter. The diffusion potential will be limited by the bound uncovered charges left behind after diffusion. The mobile electrons from the Nd dopant will diffuse into the p-type and annihilate a hole, leaving behind a Nd+ bound ion. The mobile holes from the Na dopant will diffuse into the n-type and annihilate a electron, leaving behind a Na- bound ion. These bound ions eventually form a back voltage (Vj or Vbi when the external voltage is zero) that keeps the mobile holes and electrons from crossing PN junction barrier. As you can see from the attachment, when no external voltage is applied, the junction voltage equals the sum of the contact potientials Vp and Vn. No current will exist unless an external voltage is applied across the PN contacts.

Ratch

Attachments

• Forward & Reverse Bias.jpg
    Forward & Reverse Bias.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is an electrical component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of two terminals, the anode and the cathode, which are connected by a semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied to the diode in the correct direction, it allows current to flow through. However, if the voltage is applied in the opposite direction, the diode blocks the current.

2. What happens when two ends of a diode are joined?

If the two ends of a diode are joined together, it creates a closed circuit and current can flow through the diode. This is known as forward biasing. The diode will allow current to flow from the anode to the cathode, but not in the reverse direction.

3. What will happen if the two ends of a diode are joined in reverse?

If the two ends of a diode are joined in reverse, it creates an open circuit and current cannot flow through the diode. This is known as reverse biasing. The diode will block any current trying to flow from the cathode to the anode.

4. Can a diode be damaged if the two ends are joined improperly?

Yes, a diode can be damaged if the two ends are joined improperly. If a diode is connected in reverse bias, it can experience a large amount of current which can cause it to overheat and possibly fail. It is important to always connect a diode in the correct direction to prevent damage.

5. What are some common uses for diodes?

Diodes have a variety of uses in electronic circuits. Some common applications include rectifying AC currents into DC currents, voltage regulation, signal modulation, and protection against voltage spikes. They are also used in many electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.