What will I see in this scenario? (involves rockets traveling near light speed)

In summary, as the small rocket containing a clock blasts off and accelerates to 90% of the speed of light, its clock will appear to run slowly to an observer standing on Earth. When a second smaller rocket attached to the first one blasts off in the opposite direction, its clock will also appear to run slowly to the observer on Earth, but will appear to tick normally to an observer on the first rocket. This means that rocket #1's clock will appear to be running slowly to the observer on Earth, while rocket #2's clock will appear to be running normally to the observer on rocket #1.
cataclysmic
What will happen in the following scenario?

I am standing on the earth.

Right next to me, a small rocket containing a clock blasts off and accelerates to 90% of the speed of light almost instantly (within its 1st millimeter of travel).

As the rocket passes my head, I look at its clock and see that it is running very slowly.

Attached to this rocket is a second smaller rocket (which I will call "rocket #2). This rocket also contains a clock.

As I watch Rocket #1 pass my head, rocket #2 blasts from rocket #1 back towards Earth (rocket #2 is going in the opposite of direction of rocket #1). Rocket #2 also accelerates to 90% of the speed of light within 1 mm, so that relative to me, rocket #2 ends up resting motionless beside my head.

The time of rocket #1 is running slowly relative to me.
The time of rocket #2 is running slowly relative to rocket #1.

When I look at rocket #2 sitting motionless next to my head, what will I see? Will I see rocket #2's clock running even more slowly than rocket #1's clock?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, rocket 2's clock will be just like your own clock ticking perfectly normally.

ghwellsjr said:
No, rocket 2's clock will be just like your own clock ticking perfectly normally.

Thanks for the answer.

Was I correct in thinking that I will see rocket #1's clock running slowly, and that someone on rocket 1 will see rocket #2's clock running slowly?

Yes.

1. What happens to the appearance of objects as a rocket travels near light speed?

As a rocket approaches the speed of light, objects in its path will appear to become distorted and compressed due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This means that objects will appear to shrink in the direction of travel and time will appear to slow down for an observer on the rocket.

2. Will the colors of objects change as a rocket travels near light speed?

Yes, the colors of objects will appear to change as a rocket approaches the speed of light. This is due to the Doppler effect, which causes light waves from objects in front of the rocket to compress and appear bluer, while light waves from objects behind the rocket will stretch and appear redder.

3. Can we see behind the rocket as it travels near light speed?

No, as a rocket approaches the speed of light, its length will appear to shrink to almost zero. This means that the rocket will essentially become a flat, two-dimensional object, making it impossible to see behind it.

4. Will the stars appear to be in different positions as a rocket travels near light speed?

Yes, due to the effects of length contraction, the stars will appear to be in different positions as a rocket approaches the speed of light. This means that the constellations and star patterns we see from Earth will look distorted and shifted from the perspective of the rocket.

5. Can we see objects outside the rocket as it travels near light speed?

Yes, objects outside the rocket will still be visible, but they will appear distorted and compressed due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This means that objects will appear to be moving in slow motion and will be compressed in the direction of travel.