Alien Lifeforms: Adapting to Extreme Environments and Behaviors

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien
In summary: So they come to visit us, we're all excited to see them, they land and we're like "WTF is this thing?"
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Assume it could be from a world where the gravity is much higher or much lower than ours,
it could be much hotter or colder than ours, it would have to have a method of manipulating tools.

Physics news on Phys.org
Similar to pretty much anything from http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YkVhy6KWXfU/TbxSNBeu0jI/AAAAAAAApYE/edYA02hHg_s/s640/Strange_Animal_alien.JPG to this or maybe this or perhaps even this. Semi-sarcastic point being that there is huge variety in how life can evolve on a single planet, there is little in common beyond biochemistry and development (and those are potentially just artefacts of chance). I don't imagine that anywhere else in the universe with life would be different.

However in the spirit of the question...
wolram said:
Assume it could be from a world where the gravity is much higher
Creatures would be low lying with perhaps a tendency for cushioning, sea life is less affected and simply adapts to conditions of higher pressure. If the atmosphere is significantly higher pressure far larger flying creatures could evolve.
wolram said:
Or much lower than ours,
Heavy animals may evolve to avoid predators, flying creatures would need huge wings and high metabolism to fly in the low pressure atmosphere.
wolram said:
it could be much hotter
Life adapts to low moisture conditions, tendency for basking. Plants are few and far between.
wolram said:
or colder than ours
Combination of slow growing slow metabolises and fast growing predators.
wolram said:
it would have to have a method of manipulating tools.
Anything with a hand, claw, mouth, tentacle, tail...

Knowing my luck they'd all look like my mother-in-law.

Actually I kind of like the idea of a movie where aliens come Earth and find they can't fly because our atmosphere is much thinner. You could see them jumping from their spaceships hovering over all our major cities as part of a coordinated major attack and just falling to the Earth and going SPLAT

Office_Shredder said:
Actually I kind of like the idea of a movie where aliens come Earth and find they can't fly because our atmosphere is much thinner. You could see them jumping from their spaceships hovering over all our major cities as part of a coordinated major attack and just falling to the Earth and going SPLAT

I too have thought of this, low gravity beings would have no chance.

Office_Shredder said:
I know your joking but this is the exactly type of bizarre illogical plot that is pervasive in Tv and film SF; a super advanced alien race travels lightyears to Earth in interstellar vehicles only to suffer engine failure over Nevada or die because they're allergic to water (and didn't realize the planet they were visiting is covered in it) or some equally banal catastrophe that's intellectually equivalent to an Antarctic exhibition of today forgetting clothes.

Ryan_m_b said:
I know your joking but this is the exactly type of bizarre illogical plot that is pervasive in Tv and film SF; a super advanced alien race travels lightyears to Earth in interstellar vehicles only to suffer engine failure over Nevada or die because they're allergic to water (and didn't realize the planet they were visiting is covered in it) or some equally banal catastrophe that's intellectually equivalent to an Antarctic exhibition of today forgetting clothes.

I would like to see that exhibition.

gneill said:
I would like to see that exhibition.
Oops, iPhone autocorrect lol

Isn't it obvious?
Ancient_Airplane_Model-75x90.jpg

the-pin-i-wear-on-my-jacket-is-an-ancient-alien-airplane.jpg

Ryan_m_b said:

Reminds me of the aliens in Battle Los Angeles that have ONE drone controller that is taken out by ONE missile that renders their drones completely inop. TERRIBLE plan.

I kind of like the idea (following Lovecraft?) that the aliens emotions and motivations are completely incomprehensible to us.

Related to Alien Lifeforms: Adapting to Extreme Environments and Behaviors

1. What factors would determine the physical appearance of an alien?

The physical appearance of an alien would depend on several factors such as the environment they evolved in, the resources available to them, and their evolutionary history. Other factors like genetics and natural selection would also play a role in their appearance.

2. Could an alien look similar to humans?

It is possible for an alien species to have physical features that are similar to humans, but it is highly unlikely that they would look exactly like us. Evolution on another planet would have followed a different path, resulting in unique physical characteristics.

3. Would an alien have eyes and other sensory organs like humans?

It is likely that an alien would have some form of sensory organs like eyes, ears, and nose, as these are important for survival and adaptation in any environment. However, the specific features and abilities of these organs would vary greatly depending on the alien's evolutionary history.

4. Could an alien have more than one head or body part?

It is possible for an alien species to have multiple heads or body parts, as seen in some Earth species like hydra and octopuses. However, this would depend on their evolutionary history and the environment they evolved in.

5. Would an alien be humanoid or have a completely different body structure?

An alien's body structure could vary greatly and may not necessarily be humanoid like humans. It is possible for them to have a completely different body structure, such as having multiple limbs or a different body symmetry. This would be determined by their evolutionary path and the conditions of their environment.