Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would be the perfect representative of earth look like?

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    What would be the "perfect" representative of earth look like?

This is more of a poll.
    I think it would be fun to know who would we choose.
    If we could meet with aliens who do you think we would send and i do not want to be offensive for anyone if yes than im very sorry

man/woman

religious/non religious

asian/african/european...

sportsman/scientist/politician
    and so on

This is if we all could decide so give your opinion on the candidate characteristic.

thx
    this is lame but
    i suggest myself hehehe

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2
    Someone who wouldn't be able to say or do anything to show how stupid we still are as a species... we should have sent terri schiavo out in a cryogenic space-pod! (Boy am a glad that fiasco is over. Of course -- maybe the aliens would just fix a vegetable up and then he/she would open up and be stupid again.)

In my opinion, we aren't yet ready for contact -- we have enough trouble within species. Of course, that probably will always be the case... and things happen as they happen... that's history for ya.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    Most of the people would became crazy, when they now that the aliens exist.

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want a person that's most representative of actual humans (vs what we'd like to picture as the ideal human), I'd pick:

woman/religious/asian/farmer

The man/woman choice is almost the flip of a coin. The role in providing a cultural tradition to the children is the biggest factor and those roles aren't universal. I think women might play the more significant role in more cultures than men have.

Religion, spirituality, superstition still play a larger role in human behavior than science and logic. I think the latter two are inspired by the same desire to explain why 'S**t happens', but the first three still dominate for most of the people in the world.

I picked Asian because I think they're more numerous, but that's still kind of vague. I don't think that choice is very significant and didn't put much in depth thought into it.

The choice between farmer and hunter was almost a coin flip. Farmer seemed the better choice because its in between our most primitive cultures and our most advanced cultures. Culturally, I think we're still influenced by great agricultural civilizations.

I almost tossed 'slave' in there as a qualification, since slaves are what enabled most of our earliest great agricultural civilizations.

Another choice would have been sailor, since travel and communications have so much influence on who we are.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good call...you don't want your diplomats coming home with a new trophy for the wall! :surprised

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I vote for Jodie Foster.

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7
    George W Bush.

9. Nov 14, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Definitely not religious or political.

No celebrities/athletes/mimes.

10. Nov 14, 2006 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No mimes? :frown:

How about human statues?

Or how about the human statues that stand motionless just until someone comes up for a closer inspection awed by how lifelike the statue is? (Hmmm, :uhh: maybe not a good idea if the aliens were armed.)

11. Nov 14, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, mimes might be best, especially for overcoming language barriers. Of course, then the alien diplomats will show up to all the parties with gifts of white face paint for the hosts, and we'll have to avoid offending them by promptly applying it to show how much the gift is appreciated...:uhh: Okay, no mimes.

12. Nov 14, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We will look stupid regardless of who represents us.

So, let's save ourselves the trouble and not send anyone.

Anyways, BobG has the best criteria so far. Well thought out.

13. Nov 14, 2006 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So your choice of who best to communicate with a race capable of interstellar travel is a farmer?

Right, no culture gap there. I would pick someone from NASA... it would be the only choice that ensures a good starting point in conversation (Hey, what's this doowiggy do?). I wouldn't even pick a physicist because ideas would be harder to trade (if they have different mathematical notation/ideas, perhaps they started with a different set of axioms and use a completely different form of math than us, we wouldn't know), but technology seems like a safe place to start, since we both would be trying to manipulate the same set of rules in the end. Plus, I bet the NASA guy would come back and build some wicked cool stuff for us

14. Nov 14, 2006 #13
    I say we send Danger. Of course I hope the alians have a great sense of humor.

15. Nov 14, 2006 #14
    I'd pick someone truly brain-dead, someone on the verge of a coma.

It never hurts to be underestimated.

16. Nov 14, 2006 #15
    Obviously, all earthlings are humans. That's a given. :rolleyes:

"I know that the human being and the fish can coexist peacefully."
    -George W. Bush

17. Nov 14, 2006 #16
    Unless they are here illegally.:biggrin:

18. Nov 14, 2006 #17

Huzzah! Another reason we shoulda sent out Terri! :biggrin:

19. Nov 15, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But Jodie Foster already has experience at this. Now how many people can make that claim? :tongue:

Absolutely no mimes. Also, no lounge singers.

20. Nov 15, 2006 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

And no performance artists.

We don't want to frighten these people away. But I'm seriously leaning towards what twisting_edge said
    There is great wisdom in those words.

21. Nov 15, 2006 #20
    Yea! Tally-count of 3 for someone brain-dead! :cool:

I'll admit -- I'm keeping count of this vote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?