What Would Happen to a Shattered Earth-Like Planet?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary: The story is about two people who are trying to find each other. The person who wrote the summary thinks that the shards would be shaped like an eggshell.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
There's a short story rattling around in my head. The premise involves an Earth-like planet that has been shattered (not reduced to rubble, but cracked into large pieces).

It is an artificial catastrophe, to be sure, but exactly what form of weapon or other destructive force was used is open to imagination (you are welcome to posit causes that will lead to the effect I'm looking for, but it is not important).

What I'm interested in is what form the shards would take. (this would likely be dependent on the nature of the destructive force). I'm looking for the least destruction required to separate a planet into two or more pieces that do not immediately recombine.

What might I expect the planetary environs to be, say, a century or so after the rending asunder. Obviously, after rounding the sun a hundred times, some of it will be quite spread out into, not a full ring, but an arc.

My primary question is about how the largest pieces might fare. The Earth is mostly high-viscosity liquid, so the largest pieces couldn't be more than - what? - a hundred miles thick? If that's true, is it safe to assume that no single piece could possibly measure more than a couple of hundred miles across? Any broader and they would simply collapse in on themselves by their own gravity like an eggshell in a closed fist.

Input?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's still speculated, the last I heard, that the asteroids are remnants of such an occurrence. Maybe you can start there and work around it a bit.

Well, all our asteroids are ancient and have been reduced by collisions and self-collapse to near spheroids. So not what I'm after.

DaveC426913 said:
two or more pieces

DaveC426913 said:
more than - what?
Take a sp. gr. of ~ 3 for crustal material (the rest ain't going to be too terribly interesting), a crushing strength of 5-10 kpsi (70 MPa?), Fgfrag ~ 3000d3Gmtest/r2 = 1.6 x 10-6N x r, where r = d/2 is a "mean" radius for the fragment --- solve for a mean diameter or radius that exceeds crush strength for whatever geographic relief is necessary for the story.

I think the best approach would be to allow an antimatter rope (or other suitable explosive) to descend onto the equator - so that a toroidal explosion squeezes the Earth into two pieces. If the detonation was little more than minimal and occurred during an equinox, there would be two large pieces in solar orbits that would keep them apart for years.

Aside from the north and south hemispheres that would each form a molten planet, there would be "splash" from the equatorial section that was most directly squeezed.

The moon would head off in its own direction.

Large pieces would collapse under their own weight into a sphere. Only small asteroid sized pieces could have weird shapes.

1. What is "Shards of a shattered planet"?

"Shards of a shattered planet" is a science fiction novel that explores the consequences of a catastrophic event that shatters Earth into numerous fragments, leaving humanity struggling to survive on these broken pieces.

2. What inspired the concept of a shattered planet?

The concept of a shattered planet is inspired by the real-life theory of planet formation, where a collision between two planetary bodies can result in the formation of multiple smaller fragments. It also draws inspiration from the current environmental concerns and the potential consequences of not taking action to protect our planet.

3. How scientifically accurate is the portrayal of the shattered planet in the novel?

The portrayal of the shattered planet in the novel is based on scientific research and theories, but some creative liberties have been taken for the sake of the story. It is not meant to be a completely accurate representation, but rather a thought-provoking and entertaining exploration of a possible scenario.

4. Is there a message or theme behind "Shards of a shattered planet"?

Yes, "Shards of a shattered planet" touches upon themes of environmentalism, resilience, and the human spirit in the face of adversity. It also serves as a cautionary tale about the consequences of not taking care of our planet.

5. Is there a sequel planned for "Shards of a shattered planet"?

At this time, there is no sequel planned for "Shards of a shattered planet." However, the author is open to exploring further stories within the same universe in the future.