What would be the result of this collision?

• Thread starter cshum00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, two particles with the same mass and velocity are moving towards each other in a one-dimensional system. In an inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is not conserved but momentum is, the particles will likely stick together and come to a stop. This is because any energy transferred in the collision will be transformed into another form, such as phonons. In a closed system, energy is always conserved, but can change from one form to another.
cshum00
-Let's say that in this system particles are only allowed to move in one dimension.
-There are 2 particles moving towards each other.
-Both particles have same mass and velocity.

What will be the result of the inelastic collision?
a) Both particles will come to a stop and no longer move.
b) They will move to the opposite of their original direction with no change in velocity.

I haven't done the math yet but my intuition tells me from the waves behave is that both velocity vectors would cancel each other. But from my knowledge of inelastic condition tells me that their velocity vectors will exchange.

Physics news on Phys.org
(I am assuming you mean a completely inelastic collision??)

Even though the kinetic energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision, there is still conservation of momentum. Can you write out the conservation of momentum?

Yes, complete inelastic collision.
And let's add that it is a closed system.
So in a closed system, isn't energy supposed to be conserved?

cshum00 said:

If it is a completely inelastic collision then the masses would stick together. So the resultant would be that they both stop using conservation of momentum.

cshum00 said:

If you start calling the "inelastic collision" in a closed system, then you need to define inelastic. Usually it means that any energy transferred to it will sink out into phonons, or some potential somewhere. So really it stays in the system, its just no longer the kinetic energy of the particle. In elastic it would be such that the energy does NOT go into some other form but rather stays as the particles kinetic, and is just transferred.

cshum00 said:
Absolutely. The conservation of energy is "always" true, otherwise you are putting a lot of us that studied physics back to square one. Fact is that the energy can change from one form to the other. Therefore, in your system, the kinetic energy is not conserved, but has been transofrmed into another for of energy, which phonon production is very likely, this is not the only possible way.

Cheers

1. What factors determine the result of a collision?

The result of a collision is determined by several factors, including the mass, velocity, and direction of the objects involved, as well as the type and strength of the materials they are made of.

2. Will a collision always result in damage or destruction?

It depends on the factors involved in the collision. In some cases, collisions can result in no damage or only minor damage, while in others, they can lead to significant damage or destruction.

3. Can the result of a collision be predicted?

Yes, the result of a collision can be predicted using physics and mathematical equations. By knowing the factors involved, scientists can calculate the potential outcome of a collision.

4. How does the energy of a collision affect the result?

The energy of a collision plays a crucial role in determining the result. The more energy involved, the more significant the impact and potential damage can be.

5. What precautions can be taken to minimize the result of a collision?

Precautions such as wearing protective gear, implementing safety measures, and using crash barriers or other safety devices can help minimize the result of a collision. Proper training and following traffic rules can also help prevent collisions.