What would happen if the Sun collided with a similar star?

In summary, when two sun-like stars collide, the impact could be catastrophic for Earth and the other planets in our solar system.
GiantSheeps
What would happen if the Sun collided with an exact copy of itself? I can't find any information online about this exact scenario. So what would happen to the Sun? What would happen to the Earth and the rest of the planets?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
GiantSheeps said:
I can't find any information online
I did a Google search on:

When stars collide

and got lots of good hits, including a Wikipedia article. Have you already been through that hit list?

Likes GiantSheeps
berkeman said:
I did a Google search on:

When stars collide

and got lots of good hits, including a Wikipedia article. Have you already been through that hit list?

Yeah I have and there isn't very much on two sun-like stars colliding, and i couldn't find anything on how it would effect the Earth of our own Sun was one of the involved stars.

It would depend on velocities and on how direct/glancing the collision was. Two stars might merge or they might not. Ditto for the planets, effects range from minimal to destruction depending on the velocity and angle of the second star, plus the direct hit/glancing hit extent of a collision.

I don't see any significant difference between two sun-size stars or two exact copies.

Likes GiantSheeps
anorlunda said:
It would depend on velocities and on how direct/glancing the collision was. Two stars might merge or they might not. Ditto for the planets, effects range from minimal to destruction depending on the velocity and angle of the second star, plus the direct hit/glancing hit extent of a collision.

I don't see any significant difference between two sun-size stars or two exact copies.

If they don't merge, would they just explode?

Try the term 'stellar collision'
I get hundreds of hits, plus graphics.
start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_collision

Before you go off the deep end with suppositions, these collisions probably happen in binary (or more start systems). Earth's nearest neighbor star is is Proxima centauri, about 4.25 light years away. In miles that is 2,498,400,000,000 miles away. Average distance of nearby stars - a gross estimate is 6.3 light years apart. Absurdly far away to worry about right now.

@GiantSheeps please do some reading before you ask more questions. A lot of what you asked is explained in the article I linked.

Likes GiantSheeps

1. What would happen to Earth if the Sun collided with a similar star?

If the Sun were to collide with a similar star, it would likely have catastrophic effects on Earth. The intense gravitational forces and energy released from the collision would cause major disruptions in the Earth's orbit and rotation, potentially resulting in extreme weather patterns, earthquakes, and tsunamis. The increased radiation and heat from the collision could also make Earth uninhabitable.

2. Would the Sun and the other star merge to form a larger star?

It is possible that the Sun and the other star could merge to form a larger star. This would depend on the size and velocity of the stars at the time of the collision. If the stars were moving at high speeds, they may pass through each other without merging. However, if they were moving at slower speeds, they could potentially merge to form a single, larger star.

3. How would the collision affect the other planets in our solar system?

The other planets in our solar system would also be impacted by the collision of the Sun and a similar star. The gravitational forces and energy released from the collision would cause disruptions in their orbits and potentially lead to collisions or ejections from the solar system. Additionally, the increased radiation and heat from the collision could affect the atmospheres and surfaces of these planets.

4. Could we see the collision from Earth?

It is unlikely that we would be able to see the collision of the Sun and a similar star from Earth. The immense distances between stars and the vastness of space would make it difficult for us to observe such an event. However, if the collision were to occur within our own solar system, it is possible that we could witness some of the effects, such as changes in the appearance of the sky and potential disruptions in communication and technology.

5. How would the collision affect the Sun's lifespan?

The collision of the Sun with a similar star would likely have a significant impact on its lifespan. The energy released from the collision could cause the Sun to expand and become a red giant, potentially consuming some of the planets in our solar system. Alternatively, the collision could disrupt the Sun's fusion reactions, causing it to burn through its fuel at a faster rate and shorten its lifespan. Either way, the collision would significantly alter the Sun's evolution and eventual fate.