What would the *Energy equation be for this problem?

• Thread starter Np14
  • Start date
In summary, a 0.1 kilogram solid rubber ball is attached to the end of an 0.80 meter length of light thread. The ball is swung in a vertical circle, as shown in the diagram above. Point P, the lowest point of the circle, is 0.20 meter above the floor. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 6.0 meters per second, and the total energy of the ball is kept constant.
Np14
1. A 0.1 kilogram solid rubber ball is attached to the end of an 0.80 meter length of light thread. The ball is swung in a vertical circle, as shown in the diagram above. Point P, the lowest point of the circle, is 0.20 meter above the floor. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 6.0 meters per second, and the total energy of the ball is kept constant.

2. **ex. (Ug + Wf = K)

3. Would it just be Ug = k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Np14 said:
1. A 0.1 kilogram solid rubber ball is attached to the end of an 0.80 meter length of light thread. The ball is swung in a vertical circle, as shown in the diagram above. Point P, the lowest point of the circle, is 0.20 meter above the floor. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 6.0 meters per second, and the total energy of the ball is kept constant.

2. **ex. (Ug + Wf = K)

3. Would it just be Ug = Ug ?
url

Please post the diagram related to the question and refrain from using boldface for everything. Also, Ug is always equal to itself. Please make a better effort to show your reasoning.

Likes Delta2
Please state your question clearly. (Instead of linking to that other page, just cut and paste the relevant part and upload it here.)

Likes Np14
kuruman said:
Please post the diagram related to the question and refrain from using boldface for everything. Also, Ug is always equal to itself. Please make a better effort to show your reasoning.

I don't think you understand how an energy equation works.

Np14 said:
You wrote Ug = Ug. What did you mean by that?

Doc Al said:
You wrote Ug = Ug. What did you mean by that?

I meant that energy is conserved. Since the equation for PE is m*g*h, the height is changing in both instances. So the force of gravity on the object must change as well.

Np14 said:
I meant that energy is conserved.
Well, that's not what you wrote.

Np14 said:
Since the equation for PE is m*g*h, the height is changing in both instances. So the force of gravity on the object must change as well.
The force of gravity won't change, but the gravitational PE will.

Just write an expression for the total energy and set it equal to a constant.

Np14 said:
I meant that energy is conserved. Since the equation for PE is m*g*h, the height is changing in both instances. So the force of gravity on the object must change as well.

I honestly have no clue what the equation would be for this problem. No work is being done since the displacement is zero, but I don't know if the PE becomes zero as well once the object goes to the bottom of the circle.

Only two forms of energy are involved here. One is potential. What's the other?

Doc Al said:
Only two forms of energy are involved here. One is potential. What's the other?

Kinetic I guess.

Np14 said:
Kinetic I guess.
Exactly. So the total energy is PE + KE. Since energy is conserved, PE + KE = const.

You can write an expression for each energy term and evaluate their total.

By const, you mean a constant, nonzero number?

What would that represent?

Np14 said:
By const, you mean a constant, nonzero number?
Sure.

Np14 said:
What would that represent?
The total energy!

Likes Np14
That is what I figured, thanks

Np14 said:
That is what I figured, thanks
Can you find a numerical value for that constant? Please specify where you take the gravitational potential energy to be zero.

Np14 said:
kuruman said:

In Post #4 of this thread, you made the above comment.

You might be interested to know that @kuruman is a retired physics professor with a PhD degree. He certainly understands the principle of Conservation of Energy.
( I suppose that his avatar doesn't look all that professorial , )

Last edited:

What is the Energy Equation?

The Energy Equation is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between the different forms of energy in a system. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to calculate the total energy of a system.

What is the formula for the Energy Equation?

The formula for the Energy Equation is E = mgh, where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

How do you use the Energy Equation?

The Energy Equation can be used to solve various problems involving energy. To use it, you first need to identify all the different forms of energy present in the system and assign them numerical values. Then, plug those values into the equation and solve for the total energy.

What are the different forms of energy in a system?

The different forms of energy in a system include kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, and electromagnetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, thermal energy is the energy associated with heat, chemical energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds, and electromagnetic energy is the energy of electromagnetic waves.

Can the Energy Equation be applied to all systems?

Yes, the Energy Equation can be applied to all systems as long as the concept of energy is applicable. It is a universal equation that is used to understand and analyze the behavior of different physical systems.