Simple Energy Equation for Pendulum (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for the equation of motion of a simple pendulum using energy methods assuming it is a massless rod with a point mass at the end

2. Relevant equations

Translational Kinetic Energy T = 1/2mv^2

m is mass and v is linear velocity

Rotational Kinetic Energy T = 1/2Iw^2

I = mr^2

I is inertia, and w is angular velocity, r is mass radius
3. The attempt at a solution
I've read many times that the total kinetic energy of a mechanical system is a combination of the translational energy and the rotational energy. If my understanding is correct, then taking your mouse cursor and moving it in a circle would be only translational motion since the cursor's orientation is always the same relative to an inertial RF (it is upright at all times). For a pendulum, the mass at the end would rotate with the rod (its not upright at all times- instead it tilts from one side to the other), and therefore has rotational motion in addition to the linear motion of the path of its CM . Is there something wrong in my logic? Using newtons or eulers method gives you the same result as omitting the rotational kinetic energy term (or linear since theyre equal) so I would like to know why my logic is not correct.

Last edited:
This question comes from pretty much all physics textbooks; is the answer that they model the mass at the end as being very small so that I is zero and can be ignored?

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to Physics Forums!
This question comes from pretty much all physics textbooks; is the answer that they model the mass at the end as being very small so that I is zero and can be ignored?
Yes. Point masses have zero moment of inertia, so the kinetic energy is completely due to translational motion.

Don't forget about the potential energy.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving