Simple Energy Equation for Pendulum

In summary, the problem involves solving for the equation of motion of a simple pendulum using energy methods. The pendulum is assumed to be a massless rod with a point mass at the end. The total kinetic energy of the system is a combination of translational and rotational energy, with the mass at the end having both types of motion. However, because it is modeled as a point mass, it has zero moment of inertia and its rotational energy can be ignored. The potential energy should also be considered in the analysis.
joe_23

Homework Statement

Solve for the equation of motion of a simple pendulum using energy methods assuming it is a massless rod with a point mass at the end

Homework Equations

Translational Kinetic Energy T = 1/2mv^2

m is mass and v is linear velocity

Rotational Kinetic Energy T = 1/2Iw^2

I = mr^2

I is inertia, and w is angular velocity, r is mass radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read many times that the total kinetic energy of a mechanical system is a combination of the translational energy and the rotational energy. If my understanding is correct, then taking your mouse cursor and moving it in a circle would be only translational motion since the cursor's orientation is always the same relative to an inertial RF (it is upright at all times). For a pendulum, the mass at the end would rotate with the rod (its not upright at all times- instead it tilts from one side to the other), and therefore has rotational motion in addition to the linear motion of the path of its CM . Is there something wrong in my logic? Using Newtons or eulers method gives you the same result as omitting the rotational kinetic energy term (or linear since theyre equal) so I would like to know why my logic is not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question comes from pretty much all physics textbooks; is the answer that they model the mass at the end as being very small so that I is zero and can be ignored?

Welcome to Physics Forums!
joe_23 said:
This question comes from pretty much all physics textbooks; is the answer that they model the mass at the end as being very small so that I is zero and can be ignored?
Yes. Point masses have zero moment of inertia, so the kinetic energy is completely due to translational motion.

Don't forget about the potential energy.

Related to Simple Energy Equation for Pendulum

1. What is the simple energy equation for a pendulum?

The simple energy equation for a pendulum is E = mgh + ½mv², where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the pendulum's center of mass, and v is the velocity of the pendulum.

2. How does the simple energy equation for a pendulum relate to its motion?

The simple energy equation for a pendulum explains the relationship between the kinetic energy and potential energy of the pendulum as it swings back and forth. As the pendulum swings, its energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential energy in a continuous cycle.

3. Can the simple energy equation be applied to any type of pendulum?

Yes, the simple energy equation can be applied to any type of pendulum, as long as the pendulum's motion can be described by simple harmonic motion. This is true for most pendulums, including simple pendulums, double pendulums, and spherical pendulums.

4. How is the energy of a pendulum affected by different variables?

The energy of a pendulum is affected by several variables, including its mass, length, and maximum displacement. Increasing any of these variables will result in a higher total energy of the pendulum. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity of the pendulum can also impact its energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the simple energy equation for a pendulum?

The simple energy equation for a pendulum has many practical applications, including in clock mechanisms, seismographs, and amusement park rides. It is also used in physics experiments to study the relationship between energy and motion.