1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would the first and second derivatives look like for this function?

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i.imgur.com/DQMRG.jpg

2. Relevant equations

The intervals are going by ones.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well for the first derivative, I'm guessing from -infinity to -1, it's a decreasing line?

Also from -1 to 1....it's a constant negative line? I dunno

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I give up. What is the question?

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Well the question was asking if the second derivative was increasing on its entire domain...

I think I'm sure this is what the first derivative looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/WSu1P.jpg

I'm having trouble graphing the Second though.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's in the thread title.

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that the first derivative is just the SLOPE of the curve you have there. For the first little bit, the slope appears to be nearly constant. Then it starts to decrease. Eventually the slope reaches 0. It continues to decrease and goes to some roughly constant negative value. Then it increases again and reaches 0. Etc. etc.

Once you have your curve for you first derivative, you can just repeat the same exercise again on IT to get a rough sketch of the second derivative.

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6
    Yeah thanks guys, I got it. The answer is TRUE by the way, The 2nd derivative is positive throughout,

8. Dec 4, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for calling my attention the thread title, cepheid. But agv567, that's not right. And your blurry not very good sketch of the first derivative at least shows that it's sometimes decreasing and sometimes increasing. Doesn't that mean the the second derivative can't be positive everywhere?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook