Exploring REUs for Chemical Engineering Majors: What to Know

In summary, REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) programs are research opportunities for undergraduate students to gain experience in their field of study and prepare for graduate school. To enter an REU program, students must apply and hope to be accepted. These programs are available in various fields, including chemical engineering. It is recommended to start applying for REUs after the first year of undergraduate studies. Applications are usually due in January and can be found through recommendations from professors, internet searches, and posters. It is also possible to gain research experience through a professor at one's own university. REUs typically last 2 months and include pay, housing, and travel expenses. These programs are designed to give students an introduction to research in their field and
undrcvrbro
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I will be a freshman next year and I have no clue what it is. I understand that it's research experience for undergraduates, but how exactly do you enter one of these programs, and what exactly do you do in them?

Btw, I will be majoring in Chemical Engineering, can you enter an REU program for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to just simply apply for an REU program and hope you get in. There is no doubt in my mind that there is REU programs for chemical engineering.

It's a good idea to start doing REUs after your first year, because they are great preparation for graduate school - it's a head-start on how to do research, and you often don't get that as part of the undergraduate coursework. If you have research experience, perhaps even a conference proceeding or publication, you're ahead of the game when it comes to applying for graduate programs.

My REUs were in astrophysics, but I'm sure the same idea applies to them all. Applications are due around January, so ask your professors if they can recommend one, do an internet search, and look for REU posters in the hallways. It's a bit hard to get one after your first year (they assume you have some of the background already) so you might see if one of your own professors will take you on for the summer as a research assistant. That will put you in a good position to apply for one at another school next year.

My REUs were 2 months long, paid pretty well and usually included housing and travel. They don't expect you to know TOO much - you're still an undergrad, after all, so they'll expect you to have a lot of questions. The idea is that your REU adviser will pick a project in the field that you can reasonably finish in the two-month time period that gives you an introduction to research in that field - in my case, data analysis and modeling.

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with hands-on research experience in their field of study.

2. Why should I consider an REU in Chemical Engineering?

An REU in Chemical Engineering allows you to gain valuable research experience, work closely with faculty mentors, and potentially publish your findings. It also looks great on graduate school applications and can help you determine if research is a career path you want to pursue.

3. How do I find REUs in Chemical Engineering?

You can search for REUs in Chemical Engineering through the National Science Foundation's website or by contacting the Chemical Engineering department at your university. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.

4. What are the eligibility requirements for REUs in Chemical Engineering?

Each REU program may have different eligibility requirements, but typically you must be a current undergraduate student, have a strong academic record, and have an interest in pursuing a career in Chemical Engineering or a related field.

5. Are REUs in Chemical Engineering paid?

Yes, most REU programs provide a stipend for students to cover living expenses during the program. Some programs also cover travel expenses and provide housing for participants.