What's best book to teach myself calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a book to teach oneself calculus. Suggestions include searching for previous answers on the topic, browsing university libraries for understandable books, and purchasing books like "Stewart" and "Schaum's Outline of Calculus" for supplemental resources. The conversation also mentions the affordability and quality of the Schaum's outlines as valuable tools for learning calculus.
FrugalIntelle
As the title states. I'm looking for a book I can use to teach myself calculus as I think I have the required math to start. What books would you guys recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the most popular calculus book is Stewart. A lot of people around here don't like it, for one reason or another, but it's a solid book; just pricey so consider an older edition. To supplement I recommend getting Schaum's Outline of Calculus and Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Calculus. With all of that you should have most of the resources you need to help you on your way :)

edit: The Schaum's outlines are very cheap so I consider them steals as they are usually very well put together and presented.

I referred you elsewhere because I could not hope to reproduce all the answers that have already been given, but if they did not help you, feel free to ask us again a specific question.

There are many great books available for teaching oneself calculus, and the best one for you may depend on your learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson. I would also recommend checking out some online resources, such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare, which offer free video lectures and practice problems. Whichever book or resource you choose, make sure to actively engage with the material and practice regularly to fully grasp the concepts of calculus.

1. What is the best book to use for self-studying calculus?

There are many great calculus textbooks available, so it ultimately depends on your learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson. It's important to find a book that is clear, well-organized, and has plenty of practice problems for you to work through.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge before starting to learn calculus?

A strong foundation in algebra and basic math concepts is recommended before starting to learn calculus. It's also helpful to have some knowledge of geometry and trigonometry, as these topics are often used in calculus problems.

3. Can I learn calculus on my own without a teacher or tutor?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus on your own with the help of a good textbook, online resources, and self-discipline. However, having a teacher or tutor can provide valuable guidance and feedback, especially when it comes to understanding difficult concepts.

4. How long does it take to learn calculus?

The amount of time it takes to learn calculus varies for each individual, as it depends on factors such as prior math knowledge, study habits, and dedication. Generally, it can take several weeks to a few months to gain a solid understanding of calculus.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can help with learning calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your learning, such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials. Some popular websites for learning calculus include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. It can also be helpful to join online forums or study groups to connect with others who are also learning calculus.