What's that yellow stuff around transformers?

• Thread starter BeautifulLight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformers
In summary, the person is looking for a way to protect the magnet wire from unwinding on a bottle radio. They suggest using different types of tapes, including lacquer, but ultimately end up using woodworker's polyurethane varnish. They also mention using engine enamel in spray cans from the auto parts store.
BeautifulLight
transformer.JPG

I need to find something that I can wrap around the coil of a bottle radio (image below) to keep the magnet wire from unwinding. Lacquer is messy and time-consuming. I'm hoping there is a translucent tape that I can use? Someone suggested using Kapton tape, but it's very expensive and a bit overkill for my application. Maybe I can find a generic roll on ebay. I'm going to be showing how to make crystal receivers to kids (ages 7-11). I'd rather not use lacquer (fumes and drying time). Suggestions?

bottle radio.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The yellow stuff is a plastic film insulation that separates the outer windings from the immediate environment.
PVC tape or clear sticky tape would work OK as the voltages involved are very low.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellotape

I think the special characteristic of that yellow tape is that it can handle high temperatures.
Since your device won't get hot or handle high voltage , I think you could use anything you've got at hand, mums hair spray, spray paint , cling-film, hot glue, any glue ,sellotape ...

The yellow stuff is commonly called Mylar tape, Mylar being a trade name owned by Dupont. It is a polyester tape with good electrical properties and low cost.
Transformers are also dipped in a bucket of varnish and a vacuum is drawn on the transformers and varnish causing the varnish to penetrate into crevices.
Afterwards, the transformers are restored to atmospheric pressure and placed into an oven where the varnish bakes into a hard substance that protects the transformer and discourages any vibration.

I suspect there's a number of varnishes that are solvent based (just allow the solvent to dry away) Perhaps some guys on the Tesla Ring will have a suggestion.

- Mike

I have used woodworker's polyurethane varnish on electric motor windings.
Also engine enamel in spray cans from the auto parts store. The engine enamel dries quicker but the colors tend to be garish,,,

1. What causes the yellow stuff around transformers?

The yellow stuff around transformers is most likely sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), a gas used as an insulating material. SF6 can escape from the transformer and mix with moisture in the air, forming a yellowish compound.

2. Is the yellow stuff harmful?

The yellow stuff around transformers can be harmful if inhaled or exposed to skin and eyes. SF6 is a potent greenhouse gas and can also contribute to ozone depletion. It is important to handle it with caution and follow safety procedures.

3. Can the yellow stuff be removed?

Yes, the yellow stuff can be removed through proper maintenance and cleaning of the transformer. It is important to wear protective gear and follow safety protocols when handling and removing SF6.

4. How can I prevent the yellow stuff from forming?

The best way to prevent the yellow stuff from forming is through regular maintenance and inspection of the transformer. Any leaks or damage should be repaired immediately to prevent SF6 from escaping and reacting with moisture.

5. Is there an alternative to using SF6 as an insulating material?

There are some alternatives to SF6, such as nitrogen or dry air, that are being researched and tested for use in transformers. However, SF6 is currently the most commonly used insulating material due to its high insulation properties and stability.