Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the best way to make a warm metal plate?

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    As the title says (and yes, I know it sounds a bit weird), what's the best way to make a warmable metal plate (70*45 cm big), using electrical warming? I've been thinking about using induction heating to make the plate warm, but I don't know the best way to do it. It should be battery driven and also have a switch, but that's basically the only components that I want the plate to have. So what's the best way to make it? And also, I would appreciate a simple circuit diagram.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A bunch of resistors bolted to the back of the plate, or you can buy adhesive warming pads that have a resistor spread through them.

Depends on how much power and who hot you need it to get - if you are running from a battery you aren't going to be able to heat it very much.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    Ok, thanks for the tip.

5. May 14, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How hot do you need and how much power - ie is the plate insulated or does it have cold water pouring over it?

6. May 14, 2010 #5
    I'll need power enough to melt snow on it, ie not that much power I guess. The warmer the better though.

7. May 14, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Best way probably tank/block heaters.
    Adhesive pads about 6x6 or 12x12 inches that put out about as much heat as a lightbulb. You use them to stop fuel tanks freezing or frost in greenhouses.

Something like this (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=372) you can also get smaller ones that run off a car battery.

8. May 14, 2010 #7
    Alright, I'll try that, thanks again for the help. :)

9. May 14, 2010 #8
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook