What's the best way to make a warm metal plate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poxnar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metal Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 30K views
Poxnar
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
As the title says (and yes, I know it sounds a bit weird), what's the best way to make a warmable metal plate (70*45 cm big), using electrical warming? I've been thinking about using induction heating to make the plate warm, but I don't know the best way to do it. It should be battery driven and also have a switch, but that's basically the only components that I want the plate to have. So what's the best way to make it? And also, I would appreciate a simple circuit diagram.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
A bunch of resistors bolted to the back of the plate, or you can buy adhesive warming pads that have a resistor spread through them.

Depends on how much power and who hot you need it to get - if you are running from a battery you aren't going to be able to heat it very much.
 
How hot do you need and how much power - ie is the plate insulated or does it have cold water pouring over it?
 
I'll need power enough to melt snow on it, ie not that much power I guess. The warmer the better though.
 
Best way probably tank/block heaters.
Adhesive pads about 6x6 or 12x12 inches that put out about as much heat as a lightbulb. You use them to stop fuel tanks freezing or frost in greenhouses.

Something like this (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=372) you can also get smaller ones that run off a car battery.