Best way to heat up metal plates?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey there! I want to make a rosin press from scratch.
I have a big press with 2 inch thick metal plates, probably about 4 inches wide and 10 inches long.
I need to heat these plates up to 230 degrees Fahrenheit and press them against each other with product in between them.
I am going to fasten the plates onto the press, which is also metal, but I need to know how to heat the plates to a specific temperature.
Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
(Note: I am very new to engineering.)

Answers and Replies

jrmichler
Science Advisor
Electric cartridge heaters are a popular way to heat heavy dies. Chromalox and Watlow are two well known brands. I see that Omega also sells cartridge heaters. Omega also sells controllers to control the heaters. I have had good experience buying from Omega.

berkeman
Mentor
Hey there! I want to make a rosin press from scratch.
I have a big press with 2 inch thick metal plates, probably about 4 inches wide and 10 inches long.
I need to heat these plates up to 230 degrees Fahrenheit and press them against each other with product in between them.
Does your press look like the one in the photo below? Do all rosin presses use heated plates? How uniform does the temperature need to be across the face of the two plates?

http://rosinpressguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/tth-precision-series-rosin-press-left-300x300.jpeg

tth-precision-series-rosin-press-left-300x300.jpg

Attachments

Other possible cartridge heater sources are Tempco, IMS (Injection Molding Supply) and Dalton.

If possible, look around to see what others have done in terms of thermocouple placement, and heater wattage. My experience is in plastics, and it's a trade-off between bring the steel up to processing temperature quickly versus material degradation.

!! i know nothing about engineering or whatever; but would you not want to separate the heat from the piston of the press..I envision seals/fluid getting too hot from the heat transfer.

Is that what the green part is in the image above; a heat separator of sorts?

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Is that what the green part is in the image above; a heat separator of sorts?
The green is probably thermal insulation. You do need to reduce the heat loss from the plate.

Keep the hydraulics below the plates to reduce thermal transfer to hydraulics and to prevent contamination of the rosin with leaking oil.

See how others satisfy the requirements.
https://topbestreviewss.com/technology/top-best-rosin-press/