What's the hard bremsstrahlung emission?

In summary, "hard bremsstrahlung emission" refers to the higher energy portion of the X-ray spectrum produced by an X-ray tube. It is characterized by a smooth bremsstrahlung curve with superimposed peaks, which are specific to the target atoms.
tirwit
Hi!

I need to know what's the "hard bremsstrahlung emission". I googled it but it only showed papers (and few because my university don't have access to many) on experiences that at some point mention this effect but don't explain it. I know what's bremsstrahlung emission, just don't know what does the "hard" means...

Thanks
Tirwit

Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing you will get the information you need by a google search looking at the X ray spectra produced by an X ray tube.In general the spectrum has a smooth bremsstrahlung curve with superimposed peaks which are characteristic of the target atoms.The "hard" emission probably refers to the more energetic(higher frequency) part of the spectrum.

Related to What's the hard bremsstrahlung emission?

1. What is hard bremsstrahlung emission?

Hard bremsstrahlung emission is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when high-energy charged particles, such as electrons, are decelerated or deflected by the Coulomb field of an atomic nucleus. It is commonly seen in various high-energy physics processes and can range from X-rays to gamma rays in terms of energy.

2. How is hard bremsstrahlung emission different from other types of radiation?

Hard bremsstrahlung emission is different from other types of radiation in terms of its energy range. It is produced by high-energy charged particles, whereas other types of radiation, such as thermal radiation, are produced by the thermal motion of particles. Additionally, hard bremsstrahlung emission is characterized by its continuous spectrum, as opposed to the discrete spectrum of other types of radiation.

3. What are some real-world applications of hard bremsstrahlung emission?

Hard bremsstrahlung emission has a wide range of applications in various fields, including medical imaging, security screening, and material analysis. X-rays, which are a form of hard bremsstrahlung emission, are commonly used in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray radiography and computed tomography (CT) scans. They are also used in security screening at airports and in material analysis techniques such as X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy.

4. Is hard bremsstrahlung emission harmful to humans?

As with any type of radiation, exposure to hard bremsstrahlung emission can be harmful at high doses. However, the amount of hard bremsstrahlung emission produced in most real-world applications is relatively low and poses little risk to human health. In medical imaging, for example, the doses used are carefully controlled and are not harmful to patients.

5. How is hard bremsstrahlung emission produced in particle accelerators?

In particle accelerators, hard bremsstrahlung emission is produced when high-energy particles, such as electrons, are deflected by the strong magnetic fields used to steer them. As the particles are accelerated, they emit bremsstrahlung radiation, which can then be used for various experiments and applications. The energy of the emitted radiation is directly related to the initial energy of the particles, making it a useful tool for studying high-energy physics phenomena.