What's the longest wavelength possible?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread that was closed due to its speculative nature. The person speaking is confused and expresses their desire to discuss outlandish ideas and scientific concepts. They ask for the thread to be reopened and apologize for their lack of clarity. They also request for the moderator to be contacted privately.
Chaos' lil bro Order
RE: What's the longest wavelength possible?

Why would you close this thread just because its going to 'speculative no mans land'? I really don't understand this attitude, I thought we were here to discuss outlandish ideas in addition to discussing hard science. I feel like you are trampling on my idea even though, admittedly, its not well formed or thought out, which is why I posted it, to see if as a group we could massage it into something that's somewhat palpable, even if unappetizing. Aren't the most outlandish questions the most interesting? As long as we keep the language rigid in the jargon of science there is enough glue to hold the conversation together without the risk of it descending into utter psycho-babble.

Please reopen the thread. Pretty please with a cherry on top.:blushing:
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please PM him instead

1. What is the longest wavelength possible?

The longest wavelength possible is the Planck length, which is approximately 1.616 x 10^-35 meters. This is the smallest unit of length that is theoretically possible, based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the longest wavelength determined?

The longest wavelength is determined by the speed of light and the frequency of the wave. The equation used to calculate wavelength is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. Therefore, the longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency must be.

3. Can wavelengths longer than the Planck length exist?

No, according to current scientific theories, the Planck length is the smallest unit of length that is physically possible. It is considered the limit when it comes to measuring distances.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy?

The longer the wavelength, the lower the energy of the wave. This is because wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional, and energy is directly proportional to frequency. Therefore, the longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency and energy.

5. How are long wavelengths used in science?

Long wavelengths are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as astronomy, radio communication, and geology. In astronomy, long wavelengths are used to study objects that emit radio waves, such as stars and galaxies. In communication, long wavelengths are used for long-distance transmissions. In geology, long wavelengths are used in seismic waves to study the structure of the Earth's interior.