What's the min power needed for a DC motor to move 5K lbs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an electric vehicle for use in a two-story warehouse. The speaker is contemplating the necessary power of a DC motor to achieve speeds of up to 10 MPH and navigate a driveway with a grade of 8-10%. The idea of using a standard golf cart is suggested, but the speaker is concerned about its ability to handle a heavy load. Making a custom vehicle raises liability concerns. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to use a forklift instead.
George Stann
I am making a some sort of an electric vehicle (cart) that will be used to move things around the two story warehouse.
I am trying to figure out what would be the minimal power of an a DC motor, considering that the max speeds will be up to 10 MPH, while being able to push forward to the second floor, using a regular vehicle driveway with a grade of about 8-10%.
Would 6 or 8 KW be enough?

Engineering news on Phys.org
George Stann said:
I am making a some sort of an electric vehicle (cart) that will be used to move things around the two story warehouse.
I am trying to figure out what would be the minimal power of an a DC motor, considering that the max speeds will be up to 10 MPH, while being able to push forward to the second floor, using a regular vehicle driveway with a grade of about 8-10%.
Would 6 or 8 KW be enough?
Welcome to the PF.

Why not just use a standard golf cart? I guess that 5000 pounds is a pretty big trailer load for a golf cart, though. What other standard vehicles have you looked into? Making your own opens up some pretty serious liability issues that your company's insurance company may not be too happy about...

That sounds like a forklift and a pretty substantial one at that. I agree with Berkeman - I don't think this is something that would be a good idea to try to make yourself.

Likes berkeman
Thread closed.

1. What is the minimum power needed for a DC motor to move 5,000 pounds?

The minimum power needed for a DC motor to move 5,000 pounds depends on several factors such as the weight distribution, terrain, and friction. However, a rough estimate would be around 7.5 horsepower (hp) for a typical DC motor.

2. How does the weight distribution affect the minimum power needed for a DC motor?

The weight distribution of the load being moved by the DC motor plays a significant role in determining the minimum power needed. If the weight is evenly distributed, the motor will require less power compared to a load with uneven weight distribution.

3. What role does terrain play in determining the minimum power needed for a DC motor?

The terrain over which the load is being moved can impact the minimum power needed for a DC motor. For example, if the terrain is flat and smooth, the motor will require less power compared to rough and uneven terrain.

4. Can the friction between the load and the surface affect the minimum power needed for a DC motor?

Yes, friction between the load and the surface can affect the minimum power needed for a DC motor. Higher friction means the motor will have to work harder to move the load, therefore requiring more power.

5. Is it possible to determine the minimum power needed for a DC motor without knowing all the factors?

No, it is not possible to accurately determine the minimum power needed for a DC motor without knowing all the factors. However, using a rough estimate based on the weight of the load and the type of terrain can give a general idea of the minimum power needed.