What's the min power needed for a DC motor to move 5K lbs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
George Stann
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am making a some sort of an electric vehicle (cart) that will be used to move things around the two story warehouse.
I am trying to figure out what would be the minimal power of an a DC motor, considering that the max speeds will be up to 10 MPH, while being able to push forward to the second floor, using a regular vehicle driveway with a grade of about 8-10%.
Would 6 or 8 KW be enough?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
George Stann said:
I am making a some sort of an electric vehicle (cart) that will be used to move things around the two story warehouse.
I am trying to figure out what would be the minimal power of an a DC motor, considering that the max speeds will be up to 10 MPH, while being able to push forward to the second floor, using a regular vehicle driveway with a grade of about 8-10%.
Would 6 or 8 KW be enough?
Welcome to the PF.

Why not just use a standard golf cart? I guess that 5000 pounds is a pretty big trailer load for a golf cart, though. What other standard vehicles have you looked into? Making your own opens up some pretty serious liability issues that your company's insurance company may not be too happy about...
 
That sounds like a forklift and a pretty substantial one at that. I agree with Berkeman - I don't think this is something that would be a good idea to try to make yourself.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman