Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the min power needed for a DC motor to move 5K lbs?

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1
    I am making a some sort of an electric vehicle (cart) that will be used to move things around the two story warehouse.
    I am trying to figure out what would be the minimal power of an a DC motor, considering that the max speeds will be up to 10 MPH, while being able to push forward to the second floor, using a regular vehicle driveway with a grade of about 8-10%.
    Would 6 or 8 KW be enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Why not just use a standard golf cart? I guess that 5000 pounds is a pretty big trailer load for a golf cart, though. What other standard vehicles have you looked into? Making your own opens up some pretty serious liability issues that your company's insurance company may not be too happy about...

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3

russ_watters

That sounds like a forklift and a pretty substantial one at that. I agree with Berkeman - I don't think this is something that would be a good idea to try to make yourself.

5. Jul 17, 2016 #4

berkeman

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook