Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the source of power of wizard in the Potter universe?

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    For example in DBZ, the level of power is determined by the ki, so what about the potter universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... magic?

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Tiny fusion reactors are built into every wand. How? Magic.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
  6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

Ryan_m_b

The book has no justification. The ability to perform spells is determined by how well you can say/think them and wave your wand.

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6
    This might help:
    https://www.quora.com/What-makes-a-wizard-or-witch-powerful-in-the-Harry-Potter-world [Broken]
    The reference is from the game "Book of Spells", which had J.K. Rowling's direct involvement in its development (and can hence be considered "official").

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Oct 18, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's good. Official magic makes so much more sense than just randomly making stuff up. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Oct 18, 2015 #8
    Officially made up stuff > Unofficial fan fiction

10. Oct 18, 2015 #9

Drakkith

Depends on the fan fiction...

11. Oct 18, 2015 #10
    The wizard energy comes from the quantum Klein-Gordon field ϕ(x). Its momentum density π(x) are given in Fourier space by

ϕ(x)=∫d3p(2π)31√2ωp(apeip⋅x+a†pe−ip⋅x) and

π(x)=∫d3p(2π)3(−i)√ωp2(apeip⋅x+a†pe−ip⋅x).

12. Oct 18, 2015 #11
    are you joking? I dont think so. You look to smart to be a joker.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. Oct 21, 2015 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The source of power is the author!

14. Feb 14, 2016 #13

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

From what I can remember, the source of power originated from the blood(lines).

15. Feb 14, 2016 #14
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. This was the source of controversy.

16. Feb 18, 2016 #15

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Can you elaborate further on why the source of power could be “sometimes no” in the bloodlines?

The Wizard gene is dominant, whereas Muggle genes are recessive. If a Muggle shows signs of magic, then either the gene was dormant and skipped generations, or somebody is lying (they were adopted or the mother cheated). You cannot transform a Muggle into a Wizard. I think that the controversy was centered more around purity and power, but the magic had to originate in the bloodlines to even begin that feud.

17. Feb 18, 2016 #16

Kindly refer to the evidence that supports your claim. Until then I remain firmly in the spontaneous generation camp.

18. Feb 18, 2016 #17
    I haven't found a single answer. There may be more factors that influence the power.
    The simplest could be the wand intself (materials used and it's history)

Another is wizard's experience and inner power

But l I think that the most important of all factors is love and sacrifice (I'm halfway through the last book).

19. Feb 18, 2016 #18

jim mcnamara

@phinds When in doubt sarcasm will usually get you points no matter what. I lived for years in a culture that actively feared witches and witchcraft. Stupid jokes were my only defense, since science was out of the question. Kewa Reservation, NM. (Santo Domingo Pueblo on old maps).

20. Feb 18, 2016 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Interesting. Were they hostile to science in general or just if anyone tried to apply it to their beliefs in unscientific things, or were they just indifferent to it in general, believing it to be irrelevant?

21. Feb 18, 2016 #20

jim mcnamara

@phinds
    It was not relevant to them. At all. Their belief was: they already had all the answers.

One of my neighbors was convinced he was witched. I did not try to talk him out of it.

Another good friend was working in his field. A dust devil formed and swept over him. He fell extremely ill later that day. Dust devils are spirits of evil beings.

You have to just go with the flow, and stay out of it. Yet other experiences with non-science explanations: My wife died in my house. Months later, a breeze blew through the house. Although I thought all the doors and windows were shut, my neighbors from the Rez told me it was the spirit of my wife leaving and saying good-bye. I thought it was one of those gusts that sometimes come down thru fireplaces. But what did I know?

It simply boils down to the kind of thinking virtually everyone in the Western world had prior to the Renaissance. It persists. In the Western world, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted