Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the widest ratio range for a CVT?

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1

I'm designing a human powered vehicle and I need to use a CVT (Continuously variable transmission) in its drive line. I want to know the widest range that the speed ratio of a normal CVT (One that's not very big, heavy, or expensive because our vehicle needs to be as light and cheap as possible) could fall in. Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2
    The Nuvinci is .5 under to 1.75 over. With the addition of some common concepts that can be extended dramatically. How much range are you after?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    The more the merrier! Actually, my design so far is based on a CVT with a ratio varying from 1/3 to 3, but I don't know if this is practical or not, and I can still use a range wider than that.
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Most CVT designs are not limited in a gear ratio based on their principle of operation. Like most transmissions, your gear ratio range is only limited by what it is designed for.

BTW, CVTs are by their nature big, expensive, and heavy. You can also add high maintenance and less reliable to that list as well.
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5
    This is off a flier from Quality Drive Systems concerning the Comet CVT 790 series

Pulley Ratios:
    High: .54:1
    Low: 3.38:1

and for 770 series
    Pulley Ratios:
    High: .76:1
    Low: 3.95:1

Hope this is the info you're looking for.

Comet CVTs are relatively inexpensive and small, it's what we use for our mini-baja applications.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?