Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's your favorit Christmas movie?

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    - Christmas with The Cranks
    - Home Alone 1&2 (just classic!)
    - Just Friends (not Christmas movie but there's snow, Christmas)
    - A Christmas Carol (never saw the whole thing)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 11, 2011 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Nov 11, 2011 #4
    I would agree with RoseJasmin. Bad Santa. I don't really care that much for christmas movies.

6. Nov 11, 2011 #5
    The one with Tim Allen. He's a bit of a ham, but a nice one. Also loved that Star Trek spoof that he did.

7. Nov 11, 2011 #6
    The Grinch

8. Nov 11, 2011 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oldie, seen several times though not for many years now, unfailing enchantment, pic along should put spell on you.

Blog+Art+-+Bell,+Book+%26+Candle6.bmp.jpg

Bell Book and Candle.

9. Nov 11, 2011 #8

Hepth

Gold Member

10. Nov 11, 2011 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's A Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart ("You've been given a great gift, George: A chance to see what the world would be like without you.")

A Christmas Story with Peter Billingsley and Darren McGavin ("You'll Shoot Your Eye Out.")

A Matter of Principle with Alan Arkin ("A man with as many principles as Flag, some of them are bound to be wrong.")

11. Nov 11, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

A Christmas Story, hands-down! My wife and I watch it every year. My father would swear like Ralpie's dad, and I can assure you that I would have gotten paddled if I uttered even a few of the words I learned from him. I was his "helper" whenever he needed to work on our junky car, and his language was quite colorful whenever a wrench slipped and he banged his knuckles.

One time, we were downtown and an old Army buddy showed up and hollered my dad's name, followed by "you old ******-head"! They hugged each other and hit the tavern for a beer, and his buddy bought me a pop-gun at the store next door. I thought that phrase had something to do with Woody Woodpecker, and I stashed it in my brain. A few days later, my great-uncle drove up in his convertible to take me for a ride to our favorite destination (a little diner across the road from Martin Pond that had great pies.), and I ran out of the house hollering "Uncle Marcel, you old ******head". I thought my mother was going to collapse - she loved her uncle and he had only been recently released from the sanitarium after having been cured of TB. I was just a little kid - maybe 5 or 6 or so at most, and he was trying his best not to laugh. Luckily, he deflected the damage, and I didn't get punished, though a bit later he asked me where I had heard that phrase. I told him, and he nodded knowingly and explained that sometimes adults say things that can be rude.

Uncle Marcel ended up as a butler for an old gent from CT, and he couldn't spend Christmas with us because the old guy had a winter home in Florida, so he'd send us all cards and a case of mixed citrus fruits every year.

12. Nov 11, 2011 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In no particular order:

the Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol;

the original Miracle on 34th Street;

It's a wonderful life;

The Man In The Santa Claus Suit;

Holiday Inn, the movie that introduced the song White Christmas.

13. Nov 11, 2011 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incredibly, I haven't seen this one. But the book, Skipping Christmas by John Grisham, is one of my favorite stories. It's a complete change of pace for him and very entertaining.

14. Nov 11, 2011 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.

The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant as an angel.

15. Nov 11, 2011 #14
  16. Nov 11, 2011 #15

Evo

lol.

17. Nov 11, 2011 #16

jtbell

+1

Amazingly, I saw it for the first time only a couple of years ago, when my wife and I traveled somewhere for Christmas and we saw it on cable TV in our motel. (We don't have cable or satellite at home.)

When I saw Higbee's department store, and realized the movie was filmed in Cleveland, I was hooked. Cleveland was the "big city" for us when I was a kid. We always visited Higbee's and its nearby competitor, May's, when we were in town.

18. Nov 12, 2011 #17
    My family all tend to be couch potatoes and spend every holiday in front of the TV. I think my general lack of interest in christmas movies came from watching A Christmas Story, A Miracle on 34th Street, Its a Wonderful Life, and any other movie they could find every single year for christmas and thanks giving.

edit: when I attended a friend's family get together for the fourth of July a while back and found people hanging out listening to blues and Jazz and actually having conversations with one another it was like a whole other world. Wow... families actually do things with one another on holidays! How novel!

19. Nov 12, 2011 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

20. Nov 14, 2011 #19
    IAWL is the one we've watched the most.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook