What's Your IQ on PFS? Are You Above Average?

• Thread starter absolutenoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forum thread was about IQ tests and their validity in measuring intelligence. One member shared their score of 144 on a test and asked if it was considered good. Other members chimed in with their own scores and opinions on the importance of IQ tests. Some argued that they are not a reliable indicator of real-world abilities, while others pointed out that they are used by psychologists and therapists to diagnose and treat certain issues. The conversation also touched on the origins of IQ tests and their intended purpose.
absolutenoob
Im curious to see what peoples iqs are on pfs. I scored a 144 on a wechsler adult intelligence scale test. Is that good? I fear i am only average for people here

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely average, far too average in fact. Mine is over 9000.

I've never taken an IQ test.

What happens if you are surrounded by all very intelligent people ? I get shocked myself because I may have to compete hard against any for any prize. And from there I may get stressful when the exam day comes near. Do you think intelligent people are well-respected everywhere ? I think they are the Death's targets.

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
:biggrin:

WannabeNewton said:

And here I am stuck at the room temperature...:cry:

-------------------------------------------------------
:wink:S.I. units of course...

Based on what what I've read in other threads like this one, many, if not most, PF posters haven't taken an IQ test, so we probably wouldn't be able to give you an accurate idea of where you stand as compared to the forum as a whole. However, I can tell you this: the quality of your posts will determine the level of respect you'll get, not your IQ.

If it makes you feel better, 144 is a high score, and I would bet that it would be on the higher end of the reported scores on this site if we were to do a survey of those who have taken a test. The importance of an IQ test score is another issue, though. Psychometrics is precarious if you ask me. (If anyone is wondering, no, I haven't taken an IQ test, so this isn't sour grapes.)

IQ is an excellent way to quantify your ability to correctly respond to the test questions of that particular test. Does it translate into the ability to perceive and respond to real world issues? That relationship is not well established.

I took two many years ago. I scored 113 on one and 132 on the other. I'm not convinced they're reliable indicators of anything much.

Another one of these? Who cares? Study what you love and contribute to the field. For every renowned physicist, there's a guy playing League of Legends in his mom's basement that scored higher on an IQ test.

Enigman said:
And here I am stuck at the room temperature...:cry:

293 is nothing to be ashamed of. :wink:

Chronos said:
IQ is an excellent way to quantify your ability to correctly respond to the test questions of that particular test. Does it translate into the ability to perceive and respond to real world issues? That relationship is not well established.

Then why do psychologists use it to test people who have trouble with real world issues? Of course that relationship is well established. People who end up at a psychologist or therepist because they have trouble with real world issues get tested because the results of their IQ test are meaningful in framing the issues and devising a treatment plan. You act like its just made up nonsense... Its not. Maybe the fake IQ test taken by the original poster is. But "real" IQ tests do provide meaningful results that are used by health professionals.

ModusPwnd said:
Then why do psychologists use it to test people who have trouble with real world issues? Of course that relationship is well established. People who end up at a psychologist or therepist because they have trouble with real world issues get tested because the results of their IQ test are meaningful in framing the issues and devising a treatment plan. You act like its just made up nonsense... Its not. Maybe the fake IQ test taken by the original poster is. But "real" IQ tests do provide meaningful results that are used by health professionals.

I assumed the OP was talking about those kinds of IQ tests that most people take, not the ones administered by health professionals when looking for a problem.

Interesting. The OP had 5 or 6 posts yesterday, today has none but this one and even yesterday his name was in italics indicating banned. Must have been found to be a sock-puppet (with a low IQ).

ModusPwnd said:

I'm still skeptical, is there any evidence?

ModusPwnd said:

You should read up on the origin of IQ tests. It was MEANT as a test of the mental capabilities of people with mental and psychological issues. It was never meant to be an evaluation of "intelligence", the way it has been implied now.

Zz.

Student100 said:
I'm still skeptical, is there any evidence?

Evidence of what? That health professionals use IQ tests to aid in their diagnosis and treatment? Or evidence that their usage of IQ tests is efficacious? I am not a health professional, I don't read research papers on any health related tests, IQ or otherwise. It is used by professionals for a reason though. If people are confused into thinking that an IQ test's role is something else then that confusion is their own problem, it doesn't devalidate the IQ test as used professionally.

(I took an IQ test from a health professional once. It was to look for learning disabilities. The psychologist I saw normally worked with people who had head injuries and were trying to rehabilitate.)

phinds said:
Interesting. The OP had 5 or 6 posts yesterday, today has none but this one and even yesterday his name was in italics indicating banned. Must have been found to be a sock-puppet (with a low IQ).
Good guess, the OP is the sockpuppet of a banned member.

ModusPwnd said:
Evidence of what? That health professionals use IQ tests to aid in their diagnosis and treatment? Or evidence that their usage of IQ tests is efficacious? I am not a health professional, I don't read research papers on any health related tests, IQ or otherwise. It is used by professionals for a reason though. If people are confused into thinking that an IQ test's role is something else then that confusion is their own problem, it doesn't devalidate the IQ test as used professionally.

(I took an IQ test from a health professional once. It was to look for learning disabilities. The psychologist I saw normally worked with people who had head injuries and were trying to rehabilitate.)

Evidence that they can accurately relate anything is what I was looking for. It seems that such tests can do more harm than good. How many false diagnoses does it result in? Such that you are then told repeatedly said diagnosis is wrong with you until it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Sort of like those kids who were told they had a stuttering problem in that one experiment.

I understand you don't know, I was just curious.

Student100 said:
Evidence that they can accurately relate anything is what I was looking for.

Well, I believe they accurately relate to mental retardation. And more importantly, the US federal govt. believes they accurately relate to mental retardation. An IQ between 60 and 70 will get you SSI benefits for being mentally retarded.

Student100 said:
It seems that such tests can do more harm than good. How many false diagnoses does it result in?

Sure, but that is the case with all tests and measures isn't it? Get a unqualified person to read your charts and harm can be done, through no fault of the charts. A test is only as good as the person administering it which is why IQ tests need to be administered by a health professional to be valid. They have been trained in trying to avoid pitfalls like the one you mention.

Well, now that he's banned I guess there's no evil in saying this:

144 IQ? Absolutenoob, it seems like you're an absoluteidiot as well.

Last edited:
My Internet Quota is 8 hours per day.

Evo said:
Good guess, the OP is the sockpuppet of a banned member.
Was he banned just because he was banned previously?

Superposed_Cat said:
Was he banned just because he was banned previously?

You mean a recursive ban loop?

What is an IQ and how is it measured?

An IQ, or intelligence quotient, is a numerical score used to measure a person's cognitive abilities. It is typically measured through standardized tests that assess various skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and memory.

How is an IQ score interpreted?

An IQ score is typically interpreted as a measure of a person's intelligence relative to the general population. The average IQ score is around 100, with scores above 100 considered above average and scores below 100 considered below average.

What factors can impact a person's IQ score?

Many factors can impact a person's IQ score, including genetics, education, and environment. It is important to note that IQ tests are not a perfect measure of intelligence and can be influenced by factors such as test anxiety or cultural bias.

Can IQ scores change over time?

While a person's IQ score may change slightly throughout their lifetime, research suggests that IQ is relatively stable and does not drastically increase or decrease over time.

Is IQ the only measure of intelligence?

No, IQ is just one measure of intelligence and does not encompass all aspects of intelligence. There are many other types of intelligence, such as emotional intelligence, creative intelligence, and social intelligence, that are not measured by traditional IQ tests.