When do you begin to prove? which maths lead to proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the point at which students begin to write and solve proofs in math, as well as the different math courses that lead up to this concept. Some recommended courses include abstract algebra, linear algebra, and analysis, with some colleges offering a primer on mathematical proof and logic. The conversation also mentions resources such as books and videos for learning proof techniques, and how proof is usually introduced in high school through courses on Euclidean geometry, algebra, and trigonometry. These proof techniques are important for understanding more advanced math courses at the undergraduate level.
ilii
Hi,

Could someone please tell me at which point in learning maths do you begin to write and solve proofs? I have taken high school maths so far except for discrete math.

If there is a list of different maths that lead up to proof writing, please let me know of them and in which order I should take them.

Thank you~!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first proof based courses you will encounter are abstract algebra, linear algebra, analysis. Some colleges offer a primer course on mathematical proof and logic.

Okay, so maybe a book on logic to start?

Ok I have a much better idea now, thank you

Hi @ilii

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that proofs have to be some formal maths that you have to spend years working up to. Here's a couple of proofs that the greeks knew back in the day - and a fabulous video proof of the area of a circle that doesn't even need words!

Proof that square root of 2 is irrational (can't be represented by a fraction - i.e. a ratio of whole numbers)
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/proof_square_root_2_irrational.php

Ancient Greek's not only know the world was a Sphere... they worked at a very accurate estimate of it's circumference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Proof that the area of a circle is Pi x r2

And one more... how to prove there's an infinite number of something (in this case, prime numbers)

Actually, proof usually starts in the beginning of high school with a simplified Euclidean geometry course. For instance, in the US, it's typical to write two-column proofs for theorems about 2-dimensional objects such as parallelograms or circles. Often, proofs are included in textbooks for algebra and trigonometry. Proofs of trigonometric identities are a common exercise sophomore or junior year; ultimately, however, more sophisticated proofs occur in a pre-calculus and calculus courses, for instance, proof by induction for finite or infinite series. I just found a simple but effective algebraic proof of the Pythagorean theorem that could have been taught to my students in a second-year algebra course. It's these proof techniques that lay the basis of understanding for more sophisticated undergraduate work.

Likes paradoxymoron

1. When do you begin to prove?

The process of proving begins once you have a hypothesis or a statement that you want to verify using logical reasoning and mathematical principles. This typically occurs after you have gathered sufficient evidence and data to support your claim.

2. What is the purpose of proofs in mathematics?

The main purpose of proofs in mathematics is to provide logical and rigorous evidence for the validity of mathematical statements and theorems. Proofs are essential in ensuring that mathematical results are accurate and can be applied confidently in various real-world applications.

3. Which branches of mathematics involve proofs?

Proofs are used in various branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and abstract algebra. However, all areas of mathematics ultimately rely on proofs to verify the accuracy of their results.

4. What are the key elements of a proof?

The key elements of a proof include assumptions or axioms, logical reasoning, and mathematical principles. Assumptions are initial statements that are accepted as true, while logical reasoning is used to connect the assumptions to the conclusion. Mathematical principles, such as theorems and definitions, are used to support the logical steps in the proof.

5. How can one improve their proof-writing skills?

To improve your proof-writing skills, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various proof techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to read and analyze well-written proofs by experts in the field. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers or mentors can also help in identifying areas for improvement.