When famous people pass away

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
In summary, James Gandolfini was an extremely talented actor who passed away unexpectedly. His death has left many people upset, mainly because they had no connection to him. The fascination many people have for celebrities is silly, but attachment to those who affect us emotionally through their work is natural.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
A very famous and extremely talented actor, James Gandolfini, just passed away unexpectedly and for some strange reason I am a bit upset about it. He wasn't my favorite actor or someone I followed closely by any means, but it just seems too early and a huge loss for American cinema.

It got me thinking though about the topic of how much emotional attachment we have with people we've never met and will never meet, sometimes to a very extreme degree. So my questions for the group are:

1) Has any celebrity death every affected you in a significant way?
2) What do you think of the attachment we hold to celebrities in general?

Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
The only celebrity death that affected me to any degree was the passing of Ronnie James Dio about 3 years ago due to stomach cancer. At first I felt a bit foolish for mourning the loss of a person I never met, but over the years I loved the contributions he made to several heavy metal bands, and his music was/is a part of me, and so I decided perhaps it was okay to mourn his loss as if a friend had been taken far too soon.

I think in general the fascination the general population holds for celebrities is silly, but being attached in some way to those who affect us emotionally through their work is only natural.

This may be something weird 'cause i am talking about someone who passed way before my birth but Bob Marley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia songs moved me alot(in fact i didn't know he passed away for a long time) but when i saw in wikipedia that he passed away early that disapointed me.
'cause i felt that his lyrics and music got some meaning and purpose and he has done meaningful songs,don't know why such people pass away that early...:(

Two people for me:

Andy Griffith because I grew up watching the Andy Griffith with my dad, so there are a lot of great ties to the show for me.

Not an actor, but someone who was one of my idols as a kid was Tim Samaras the storm chaser. He was in it for the science instead of the money. He passed away 2 or 3 weeks ago. I first learned about him in an April 2004 National Geographic Magazine and followed him basically ever since.I think there's a difference between having an appreciation for someone and just taking it too far. I think that some reality tv shows have gone too far and personal with the shows that are created, but I guess if it sells then it works (Not for me though :D ).

, I completely understand your feelings about James Gandolfini's passing. Even though we may not have personally known him, his work and talent have left a lasting impact on many of us. It is natural to feel saddened by the loss of someone who has contributed so much to society through their art.

To answer your questions, I believe that celebrity deaths can certainly affect us in significant ways. We may feel a sense of connection to these individuals through their work and the emotions they evoke in us. When they pass away, it can feel like we have lost a part of ourselves or our culture.

As for the attachment we hold to celebrities, I think it is a complex phenomenon. On one hand, celebrities are public figures who are constantly in the spotlight and their lives are often glamorized and idealized. This can create a sense of fascination and admiration towards them. On the other hand, their fame and success can also make them seem unattainable and distant, which can create a sense of longing and longing for a connection to them.

Overall, it is important to remember that celebrities are human beings with their own struggles and vulnerabilities. While we may admire and appreciate their work, it is important to also respect their privacy and boundaries.

1. What causes famous people to pass away?

Famous people, like all individuals, can pass away due to a variety of reasons such as natural causes, accidents, illnesses, or even intentional causes like suicide or homicide.

2. How do we determine the cause of death for famous people?

The cause of death for a famous person is typically determined by a medical examiner or coroner, who conducts an investigation and autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

3. Are there any patterns or trends in the deaths of famous people?

While there may be similarities in the causes of death among famous people, such as higher rates of drug overdose or heart disease, it is difficult to generalize as each individual's circumstances are unique.

4. How do the deaths of famous people impact society?

The deaths of famous people can have a significant impact on society, as they often serve as role models or inspirations to many people. Their passing can also bring attention to important issues or causes.

5. How do famous people's deaths affect their legacy?

The impact of a famous person's death on their legacy depends on various factors such as the cause of death, the individual's actions and achievements during their lifetime, and the public's perception of them. However, their legacy will continue to live on through their contributions and influence on society.