1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When Integrating (2x)/(4x^(2)+2) I get two different integrals ?

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    Hi

So lets have ∫(2x)/(4x^(2)+2) dx

Without factorising the 2 from the denominator, I integrate and I get

1/4*ln(4x^(2)+2)+c which makes sense as when I differentiate it I get the original derivative.

BUT when I factor the 2 from the denominator I have

2x/[2(2x^(2)+1)] simplify it down = x/(2x^(2)+1) which is the same as (2x)/(4x^(2)+2)

Now when I integrate ∫x/(2x^(2)+1)dx I get 1/4*ln(2x^(2)+1)+c

which is obviously different from the first integral. Why? because when I simplify it by factorisation its the same thing so Why is it different?

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The point is, [itex] \ln{ab}=\ln{a}+\ln{b} [/itex]. Now if you assume [itex] c=\frac 1 4 \ln{2} [/itex] in the second solution, you'll get the first. So they differ only by an additive constant which makes them equivalent.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Aug 19, 2014 #3
    Ok, thanks
    Ideally its better to not factor anything out from the denominator then, unless you think you can get partial fractions that is.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. Aug 19, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Indeed, this can be observed from something as simple as:

$$\int x-1 \space dx$$

Making a substitution ##u = x - 1## gives ##du = dx##. Hence:

$$\int x-1 \space dx = \frac{(x-1)^2}{2} + C$$

Now what if you simply integrated by using some integral properties instead of a substitution?

$$\int x-1 \space dx = \int x \space dx - \int 1 \space dx = \frac{x^2}{2} - x + K$$

The two answers look nothing alike, but they're exactly the same! In fact, you can show they differ by a constant. Taking the answer for the substitution method and massaging it a bit gives you:

$$\frac{(x-1)^2}{2} + C = \frac{x^2 - 2x + 1}{2} + C = \frac{x^2}{2} - x + \frac{1}{2} + C$$

It is clear by observation with the non substitution answer that ##K = \frac{1}{2} + C## so ##K## and ##C## differ by ##\frac{1}{2}##.

6. Aug 19, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

The other classic example is [tex]\int \cos \theta \sin\theta\,d\theta = -\frac12\cos^2\theta + C = \frac12\sin^2\theta - \frac12 + C = -\frac14 \cos(2\theta) + C - \frac14.[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted