How do vector functions behave under transformations for symmetry?

In summary, a system is symmetric under a transformation if all its observables are symmetric under this transformation.
Nikratio
Hi,

How does one define symmetry of a system?

I believe that a scalar function [tex]g(\vec x)[/tex] is called symmetric under a transformation [tex]\vec F(\vec x) [/tex] if and only if [tex]g(\vec x) = g(\vec F(\vec x))[/tex]

If there is an equivalent criteria for vector functions, I would be inclined to define a system as symmetric under a transformation if all its observables are symmetric under this transformation. Is that correct?

However, how does a vector function need to behave in order to be called symmetric? If the transformation is just a translation in space, we we want all the cartesian components to be invariant, just like individual scalar functions. On the other hand, if the transformation is a rotation, we want the cartesian components to rotate accordingly. But what is the general pattern here? How do the components of a vector valued function have to transform under a general transformation, in order for the function to be called symmetric under this transformation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Symmetry is defined by invariance of the integral of a function over a transformation. (i.e. linear, rotation, gauge, etc.) If the integral does not change over these transformations, then it is invariant, and the function is said to have that kind of symmetry. (i.e. translational symmetry, rotational symmetry, gauge symmetry.) I suggest that you read about calculus of variations, and then about invariance and Noether's theorem.

zush said:
Symmetry is defined by invariance of the integral of a function over a transformation. (i.e. linear, rotation, gauge, etc.) If the integral does not change over these transformations, then it is invariant, and the function is said to have that kind of symmetry. (i.e. translational symmetry, rotational symmetry, gauge symmetry.) I suggest that you read about calculus of variations, and then about invariance and Noether's theorem.

Could you be more specific? What is "the integral of a function over a transformation"?

I think I am reasonably familiar with calculus of variations and Noether's theorem, but maybe I should refresh my memory because I don't see how either would help me with my question. Could you give more concrete references?

1. What is symmetry in a system?

Symmetry in a system refers to the property of having a consistent and balanced arrangement of components or elements. It can be observed when the system maintains its structure and characteristics even when certain changes are made.

2. Why is symmetry important in a system?

Symmetry is important in a system because it allows for stability, predictability, and efficiency. A symmetrical system is easier to understand and analyze, and it is less prone to errors and failures. It also allows for easier identification and correction of any issues that may arise.

3. How do you determine if a system is symmetric?

A system is considered symmetric if it has an axis or plane of symmetry, meaning that it can be divided into equal parts that are mirror images of each other. This can be determined through visual inspection or by using mathematical tools such as symmetry analysis or group theory.

4. What are some examples of symmetric systems?

Some examples of symmetric systems include crystals, snowflakes, flowers, and geometric shapes such as circles, squares, and triangles. In science and engineering, symmetry can also be observed in physical laws, equations, and molecules.

5. Can a system be symmetric in one aspect but not in another?

Yes, a system can have different types of symmetry in different aspects. For example, a molecule may have rotational symmetry but not reflectional symmetry. Similarly, a system may have symmetry in its structure but not in its function. It is important to consider all aspects of a system when determining its overall symmetry.