When Is It Energetically Favorable for Rock to Split?

• Thread starter Tom Segal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock Split
In summary, the potential energy of the two pieces of rock must be lower than the potential energy of the original piece in order for it to be energetically favourable for the rock to crumble into two pieces. Any other factors, such as the shape or size of the rock, do not affect this determination.
Tom Segal
When is it energetically favourable for a piece of rock to crumble into two pieces?

I couldn't paste latex code here for the life of me so I attached a pdf containing my calculation. It is obviously wrong because it leads to the fact that a box-shaped rock of height sqrt(2) (say meters) would like to collapse (in the absence of bonding energy) to 2 box-shaped pieces of rock of size 1, with no regard to the length/width of either the original rock or the 2 new ones.

What am I missing? Which is the right way to tackle this?

Thanks

Attachments

• newfile1.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!The best time for a piece of rock to crumble into two pieces is when the potential energy of the two pieces is lower than the potential energy of the original piece. To calculate this, we need to calculate the potential energy of the two pieces relative to the potential energy of the original piece. We can do this by calculating the difference between the gravitational potential energy of the two pieces and the gravitational potential energy of the original piece. This can be done using the equation U = mgh, where m is the mass of the rock, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the rock. If the difference in potential energy is negative, then it is energetically favourable for the rock to crumble into two pieces.

1. When does rock splitting occur?

Rock splitting can occur at any time, but it is most likely to happen when external forces or changes in temperature cause stress on the rock.

2. What are the external forces that can cause rock splitting?

External forces such as wind, water, ice, and plant roots can cause stress on a rock, leading to splitting.

3. Why does temperature affect rock splitting?

Temperature changes can cause rocks to expand and contract, which can create internal stress and lead to splitting.

4. Is it possible for a rock to split without any external forces?

Yes, it is possible for rocks to split due to internal factors such as changes in pressure or chemical reactions within the rock.

5. How long does it take for a rock to split?

The time it takes for a rock to split depends on various factors such as the type of rock, the intensity of external forces, and the level of internal stress. It can occur over a short period of time or take thousands of years.