When is Work Done? - P.E., Air Resistance & Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done by gravity in the presence of air resistance. The participants consider factors such as distance, mass, and velocity, as well as the effect of air resistance on the total energy of the particle. They also discuss the nature of collisions between the particle and air molecules. Ultimately, the conclusion is that in both cases with and without air resistance, gravity does work on the particle, but the presence of air resistance decreases the overall work done.
pconstantino
Hello.

If a particle has some P.E. say 100J, when we release it, considering there's air resistance, will gravity do more work than if there was no air resistance?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pconstantino said:
Hello.

If a particle has some P.E. say 100J, when we release it, considering there's air resistance, will gravity do more work than if there was no air resistance?

Thanks

What do YOU think? What factors come into play when there's air resistance? And does gravity do work on more than just the particle when there's air resistance?

i think gavity does 9.8 * distance of work, and air resistance does -X * distance of work, which at the end decreases the total energy of the particle, is that right?

Heh ... my work is *never* done. :tongue:

oh come on... let me go back to my books then.

Yup, if the distance doesn't change, the work done by gravity is the same (you did forget the factor m). The fact that the drag makes the total work done over a certain distance less was to be expected, as the mechanical energy (potential + kinetic) is known to decrease in the presence of friction.

omg i forgot the mass lol, sorry. thanks mr vodka :P

how is the force due to air resistance acting?? (like in general proportional to displacement or velocity of the particle (instantaneous)) and yes..is the collision between the particle and the air molecules is inelastic?? if so then the mass of the aprticle is increased in due course of time...??
hm.., but in general if u wud like answer the question then, the answer is "yes" for same distances in 2 cases ie., ( i) with air friction..2)without air friction)

1. What is work and how is it defined?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, resulting in a change in the motion of the object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is work related to potential energy?

Work and potential energy are closely related as work done on an object can change its potential energy. For example, when an object is lifted against the force of gravity, work is done and the object gains potential energy. On the other hand, when an object falls under the force of gravity, its potential energy decreases as work is done by the force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect work done?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. When an object moves through air, work is done to overcome the force of air resistance, which results in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy. This means that more work is needed to maintain the same speed when air resistance is present.

4. How does gravity affect work done?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. When an object is lifted against the force of gravity, work is done and the object gains potential energy. On the other hand, when an object falls under the force of gravity, its potential energy decreases as work is done by the force of gravity. In both cases, work is done to overcome or utilize the force of gravity.

5. How do you calculate work done in the presence of air resistance and gravity?

To calculate work done in the presence of air resistance and gravity, you must consider both forces and the distance over which they are applied. The total work done is the sum of the work done against air resistance and the work done against gravity. This can be calculated using the formula W = Fnet * d, where Fnet is the net force acting on the object and d is the distance over which the force is applied.