When should professors retire?

• Thread starter phyguy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: Sure, they may have given me an A in a course that I would have gotten a C in otherwise, but it was a course that I actually enjoyed and learned from. In summary, this old-school physics professor is grading in a way that is not fair to the students. He changes the grading method from test to test, making it difficult for students to prepare for the material. If you are not sure how his grading works, you should make an appointment to speak with him about it. If he cannot explain it to you, then you have a valid concern.
phyguy321
So my physics professor is around 68 and his grading methods drive us all up the walls. He's very old school and it seems as though he will pick one person a class and give them the A. His grading methods change from test to test so we never know how to present the material. In one test he'll take off points for not explicitly stating where an equation came from or why we know the information that is written. and then when you do that on another test he'll take off points for having now "unnecessary" material and not presenting it in a professional manner. Does this seem fair to anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! You should all be flogged until you can recite your log tables.

Have you asked him how his grading method works?

phyguy321 said:
So my physics professor is around 68 and his grading methods drive us all up the walls. He's very old school and it seems as though he will pick one person a class and give them the A. His grading methods change from test to test so we never know how to present the material. In one test he'll take off points for not explicitly stating where an equation came from or why we know the information that is written. and then when you do that on another test he'll take off points for having now "unnecessary" material and not presenting it in a professional manner. Does this seem fair to anyone?

Contact the head of the department.

phyguy321 said:

Or perhaps you've overcorrected? He may be trying to teach you just the right amount of information to present...think Goldilocks and the Three Bears...too little is not good, nor is too much, it has to be just right.

If you're not sure how he's grading, make an appointment for office hours and ASK before complaining about it. If he can't explain it, then you have a legitimate concern. If he gives you an explanation, then you know what you need to do and can do it and not keep complaining when there's a good reason for it.

phyguy321 said:

This is in fact a very good way to teach physics. You should aim to master the subject from first principles and not just aim for high grades in tests.

You can learn a lot from the old guys. My two favorites were Cecil Reynolds (Prof Emeritus of English and Rhodes Scholar) and Erling Skorpen (head of the philosophy dept), who lured me from engineering to liberal arts when I was a young pup. These guys were old-school, performance-based graders, and they were tireless advocates for students that they thought had some spark and potential.

1. When is the standard age for professors to retire?

The standard retirement age for professors varies by institution but is typically between 65-70 years old. However, many universities offer early retirement options starting at age 55.

2. Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors?

No, there is no mandatory retirement age for professors in the United States. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits mandatory retirement based on age.

3. What factors influence a professor's decision to retire?

Some factors that may influence a professor's decision to retire include their personal financial situation, desire for a change in career or lifestyle, health concerns, and opportunities for retirement benefits offered by their institution.

4. How does a professor's retirement affect the university?

A professor's retirement can have both positive and negative effects on the university. On one hand, it can create opportunities for new faculty members and bring fresh perspectives to the institution. On the other hand, it may result in the loss of experienced and knowledgeable faculty members.

5. Can a professor continue to work after retirement?

Yes, many professors choose to continue working after retirement in various capacities such as teaching part-time, conducting research, or serving as mentors or consultants. Some universities also offer emeritus status to retired professors, allowing them to continue to be involved in the academic community.