When to square a sum and when not to

In summary: So, you need to be careful with expanding squares of sums. :wink:In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of taking the square of the sum versus the square of individual components in mathematical equations. The conversation concludes that it is important to carefully consider the expansion of squares of sums due to the presence of crossterms.
mess1n
Hey, I've got a question which might be really simple, I'm not too sure yet!

Basically, I'm going over the compton scattering calculations, and there's a part where:

v - v' + (mec2)/h = [tex]\sqrt{something else}[/tex]

Basically, the next step is to square both sides of the equation.

To do this, my lecturer squares the LHS as a sum (i.e. in the form (a+b)2 instead of doing a2 + b2... where a = (v - v') and b = (mec2)/h).

My question is... why do you in some instances take the square of the sum, and in other instances take the square of the individual components. I'm assuming there is a non-arbitary reason for this.. but I don't know about it!

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Andrew! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
mess1n said:
My question is... why do you in some instances take the square of the sum, and in other instances take the square of the individual components. I'm assuming there is a non-arbitary reason for this.. but I don't know about it!

You always take the square of the sum. :smile:

(Though there are a few cases where that is the same as taking the sum of the squares, for example if they are perpendicular components of vectors :wink:)

Cheers for the welcome, and for the answer!

If you got
[tex]x = \sqrt{y}[/tex]
and you square it to
[tex]x^2 = y[/tex]

If x happens to be a sum
[tex]x = a + b[/tex]
then you get
[tex](a + b)^2 = y[/tex]
and not
[tex]a^2 + b^2 = y[/tex]

The reason is simple. In general,
[tex]a^2 + b^2 \neq (a + b)^2[/tex]
because there's also the crossterm:
[tex](a + b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab[/tex]

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your question. In mathematics and science, there are certain rules and conventions that we follow when dealing with equations and calculations. In this case, the reason for squaring the sum instead of the individual components has to do with the properties of square roots and how they interact with operations like addition and multiplication.

First, let's understand what is happening in the equation you mentioned. The left-hand side (LHS) of the equation is the sum of three terms: v, -v', and (mec^2)/h. The right-hand side (RHS) is the square root of "something else". In order to solve for the variable, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation, which is why your lecturer squared both sides.

Now, let's look at the specific terms being squared. The reason for squaring the sum (a+b)^2 instead of the individual components a^2 + b^2 has to do with how square roots interact with addition. When we take the square root of a sum, we cannot simply take the square root of each individual term and add them together. This is because the square root of a sum is not equal to the sum of the square roots. In other words, √(a+b) ≠ √a + √b.

To demonstrate this, let's take a simple example: √(4+9) vs. √4 + √9. The first one can be simplified to √13, while the second one can be simplified to 2+3, which is equal to 5. As you can see, these two values are not equal. This is because the square root operation is not distributive over addition.

On the other hand, when we square a sum, we can distribute the operation and get the correct result. For example, (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2. So when we square the LHS of your equation, we get (v-v'+(mec^2)/h)^2 = v^2 + 2vv' + (mec^2)^2/h^2. This allows us to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

In conclusion, the reason for squaring the sum instead of the individual components has to do with the properties of square roots and how they interact with operations like addition. I hope this explanation helps and clears up

1. When should I square a sum?

The general rule for squaring a sum is to do so when you need to find the area of a square or when you are solving a quadratic equation. In these cases, squaring a sum is necessary to find the correct answer.

2. Can I square a sum if it is not part of a quadratic equation?

Yes, you can square a sum even if it is not part of a quadratic equation. However, you should consider whether squaring the sum is necessary for the problem you are trying to solve. If not, it may be simpler to leave the sum unsquared.

3. What happens when I square a sum?

Squaring a sum means multiplying the sum by itself. This results in a larger number, as when you multiply two numbers together, the product is always larger than the original numbers.

4. When should I not square a sum?

You should not square a sum if it is not relevant to the problem you are trying to solve. For example, if you are trying to find the sum of two numbers, squaring the sum would not give you the correct answer. Additionally, if you are not solving a problem that involves finding the area of a square or a quadratic equation, squaring a sum is not necessary.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of when to square a sum?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rule. For example, in some geometry problems, you may need to square a sum in order to find the length of a diagonal or the length of a side of a triangle. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and determine if squaring a sum is necessary for finding the correct solution.