What is the best time to take Linear Algebra?

In summary, there is a debate on when the best time to take linear algebra is. Some colleges require Multivariable Calc. as a prerequisite, while others only require Calc I. However, it is recommended to take linear algebra as soon as the prerequisites are met, as it can be helpful in understanding other math courses. Additionally, linear algebra is a more abstract and theoretical math class compared to calculus, which may require more effort to understand. Ultimately, the concepts in linear algebra can greatly aid in understanding multivariate calculus, making it beneficial to take linear algebra before or concurrently with Calc III.
Starlit_day
Just wondering when people thought the best time to take linear algebra is. My college says after you have taken Multivariable Calc., but is it necessary to wait that long for a subject that seems to be pretty algebra based (i.e. doesn't need higher level calc. to do)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my college, all you need is Calc I to take it.

I took Linear Algebra before Calc3.

In fact, I think my LA experience helped me with Calc3.

As soon as you meet the prereqs IMO.

I had to take a linear algebra course in my first year because I was in engineering at the time and it has been very useful in my physics classes.

The reason some schools put it after the calc progression is because it's usually the first time you're taking a math class that actually requires you to think abstractly and straight up memorize theorems.

All through high school math and calculus I was able to just look at examples and modify them to whatever problem I was doing. Calculus is really a very simple concept and the rest is just tricks for doing it.

In linear algebra, I actually had to sit there and read each section of the textbook a couple times until I understood what was even being asked.

I would personally take linear algebra before multivariate calculus. I took it concurrently in my time, so that also works!

The concepts in linear algebra are a great help to understand multivariate calculus. Thus knowing these concept already is a huge help!

1. When should I take Linear Algebra?

The best time to take Linear Algebra is typically during your second year of college, after you have completed courses in Calculus and Multivariable Calculus. This will provide you with the necessary mathematical background to understand the concepts and applications of Linear Algebra.

2. Is Linear Algebra a difficult course?

Linear Algebra can be challenging for some students, as it introduces new concepts and requires a strong understanding of mathematical principles. However, with dedication and practice, it is a manageable course for most students.

3. How is Linear Algebra used in the real world?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, physics, economics, and more. It is used to solve problems involving large sets of data, optimization, and modeling real-world systems.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take Linear Algebra?

While a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to have taken advanced math courses before taking Linear Algebra. However, a solid understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts is important.

5. What are the key topics covered in Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra covers topics such as systems of linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. These concepts are used to solve problems in linear systems, geometry, and data analysis.