Health Risk of Abrasive Scrubbing in the Kitchen

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary, when two things rub against each other, it is possible for atoms to be lost or exchanged from the surface. The use of abrasive sponges and scrubbers in the kitchen can lead to the transfer of atoms or chemicals from cookware to food, potentially causing health problems. However, using ordinary iron cookware is considered safer than stainless steel, as it provides important iron supplements to food. It is important to properly clean and use cookware to avoid any potential harm.
kenny1999
when two things rub against each other, it is likely that atoms may lose or exchange from the surface, right? In kitchen, abrasive sponge and scrubber is very commonly used, if you normally clean by scrubbing a cookware or dishware with a sponge or scrubber, could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems? It's a question that has been long in my mind but hardly find any answer.

Biology news on Phys.org
Good amount of iron as important supplement for human health is supplied to food from iron pans and iron knives when cooking. Ordinary iron goods are better for it than stainless steel ones.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Ordinary iron goods are better for it than stainless steel ones.
That's a bit of a stretch here. The reason why you can't buy pre-seasoned iron cookware and has to do it yourself is, that no way to get permission to sell such stuff. Oil and/or fat burned and cooked at low temperature till it partly carbonized... Honestly, I think the only reason it's not banned is that it's traditional and nobody bothered to look seriously.

kenny1999 said:
if you normally clean by scrubbing a cookware or dishware with a sponge or scrubber, could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems?
In short, they are recognized as cookware because as long as you keep the requirements for cleaning and usage you won't get anything harmful in the food.

But: not all cookware is eligible for all cleaning methods. With incorrect methods it's possible to ruin cookware.

Last edited:
kenny1999 said:
could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems?
As long as you eat a handful of dirt each day, you should be fine. I've been doing that since I was a kid... :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre

1. What are the potential health risks of using abrasive scrubbing in the kitchen?

Abrasive scrubbing in the kitchen can lead to skin irritation, cuts, and abrasions. It can also cause respiratory problems if inhaled and can contaminate food if not properly rinsed off.

2. Is it safe to use abrasive scrubbing on all surfaces in the kitchen?

No, abrasive scrubbing should only be used on hard and non-porous surfaces such as metal or ceramic. It should not be used on delicate surfaces like wood or plastic as it can cause damage.

3. Are there any alternatives to using abrasive scrubbing in the kitchen?

Yes, there are many alternative cleaning methods that are just as effective and less abrasive. These include using natural cleaning products, steam cleaning, or using a soft brush or sponge.

4. How can I protect my skin while using abrasive scrubbing in the kitchen?

It is important to wear protective gloves while using abrasive scrubbing in the kitchen to prevent skin irritation and cuts. It is also recommended to wash your hands thoroughly after use.

5. Can abrasive scrubbing products be harmful to the environment?

Some abrasive scrubbing products may contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to the environment. It is important to choose environmentally-friendly products or opt for natural cleaning methods to minimize negative impact on the environment.