Where can I buy sets of small weights/masses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter juanitopapito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
juanitopapito
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm looking to tutor someone, but I need to find small masses like 1 gram, 10 gram, 25 gram, 100 gram things for demonstrations/experiments etc. As small as possible would be nice, like no bigger than a quarter.

But whenever I try to google for weights I just get weightlifting things like dumbbells...

Can someone help me out on how/where to look :D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what kind of tutoring you're doing, but often you can go to a hardware store or home center and buy some nuts or bolts that are of at least approximately the right weight. Often the units don't matter as what we're teaching involves proportions. Two bolts weighs twice as much as one bolt, and so on.

A Google search for "lab weight set" gave me lots of relevant hits.

Likewise, the same search on Amazon gave me lots of relevant and economical choices.
 
US nickles are 5.00 grams and are very uniform. (Pennies are 2.50 but have more variation) You can get 20 of them for $1.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Student100
Bystander said:
Or, google "standard weight sets."
For something a little smaller, google "mass sets". :smile: