Where can I buy sets of small weights/masses?

• Thread starter juanitopapito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is about finding small masses for demonstrations or experiments. The person is looking for masses as small as possible, preferably no bigger than a quarter. They have tried googling for weights but keep getting results for weightlifting equipment. Suggestions are given to try educational lab-equipment suppliers or a Google search for "standard weight sets." It is also suggested to check if there is a science and educational store nearby, or to use nuts or bolts from a hardware store. Other options mentioned are using US nickels or searching for "mass sets."
juanitopapito
I'm looking to tutor someone, but I need to find small masses like 1 gram, 10 gram, 25 gram, 100 gram things for demonstrations/experiments etc. As small as possible would be nice, like no bigger than a quarter.

But whenever I try to google for weights I just get weightlifting things like dumbbells...

Can someone help me out on how/where to look :D

Science news on Phys.org
Or, google "standard weight sets."

I'm not sure what kind of tutoring you're doing, but often you can go to a hardware store or home center and buy some nuts or bolts that are of at least approximately the right weight. Often the units don't matter as what we're teaching involves proportions. Two bolts weighs twice as much as one bolt, and so on.

A Google search for "lab weight set" gave me lots of relevant hits.

Likewise, the same search on Amazon gave me lots of relevant and economical choices.

US nickles are 5.00 grams and are very uniform. (Pennies are 2.50 but have more variation) You can get 20 of them for $1.

Likes Student100
Bystander said:
Or, google "standard weight sets."
For something a little smaller, google "mass sets". :smile:

Related to Where can I buy sets of small weights/masses?

1. Where can I find sets of small weights/masses?

You can find sets of small weights/masses at various locations such as sporting goods stores, online retailers, and scientific supply companies. You may also be able to find them at your local gym or university laboratory.

2. What are the most common types of small weights/masses available for purchase?

The most common types of small weights/masses include standard metal weights, calibrated weights, and precision weights. These can come in various sizes and materials such as steel, brass, or iron.

3. Are there any specific brands or manufacturers that are known for producing high quality small weights/masses?

Yes, there are several reputable brands and manufacturers that are known for producing high quality small weights/masses. Some popular options include Ohaus, Adam Equipment, and Troemner. It is important to do some research and read reviews before making a purchase.

4. Can I purchase individual small weights/masses instead of a set?

Yes, many retailers offer the option to purchase individual small weights/masses. This can be useful if you only need a specific weight or if you want to add on to an existing set.

5. Are there any considerations to keep in mind when buying sets of small weights/masses?

When buying sets of small weights/masses, it is important to consider the accuracy and precision of the weights, as well as the weight range and compatibility with your weighing equipment. It is also important to make sure the weights are properly calibrated and come with a certificate of calibration.