Where can I find basic books to learn physics and particle physics at age 14?

• Studying
  • Thread starter mat1101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about a 14-year-old who wants to learn basic physics and particle physics in order to build a particle accelerator in the future. The conversation also includes advice on focusing on math first and recommended books to begin with. The conversation also mentions the potential danger of building a particle accelerator and the option of building an astronomy device instead. Lastly, the conversation briefly mentions the individual's previous experience with building a fusion reactor.
mat1101
I an 14 and want to learn basic physics and particle physics so I can build a particle accelerator latter on. So is there any basic books that would help me understand these subjects to then go into more advanced stuff? Basically any type of physics and astronomy books, etc.

Thank you!

Sorry for spelling errors I am using my phone and it is hard to type on.

Physics news on Phys.org
You...you want to build a particle accelerator? Alright, then save the physics (especially particle physics) for later and start studying engineering. How's your math?

Don't start reading physics and engineering books. It is crucial to know your math. Do algebra, precalc, trig, geometry, calculus. Master these topics. Only then can you start thinking about other things.

Math is the important thing right now!

Good luck with your particle accelerator...

micromass said:
Good luck with your particle accelerator...

He could build an accelerator of some sort, it doesn't have to be something like you would find in CERN.

Maybe something in the order of thousands of electron volts or something on that scale.

It's actually not that difficult to build your own cyclotron

http://cyclotronconference.org/

Once you are done with that, you can build your own fusion reactor (not kidding, look up Farnsworth fusor).

One thing that you'll find is that building devices requires hands on skills, and those are different from learning theory. One other thing is that the big difficulty in building these sorts of things is that they are *DANGEROUS*. It is in fact rather simple to build a small cyclotron or fusion reactor, but the reason it's hard to find step by step instructions is that without too much trouble, you could end up with a device that could kill you with radiation.

So this is something you definitely want to do with supervision.

If you really want to do DIY, it's much safer to do astronomy. There is a ton of stuff on building your own telescope or black hole simulator, and none of that could kill you.

Last edited by a moderator:
twofish-quant said:
One thing that you'll find is that building devices requires hands on skills, and those are different from learning theory. One other thing is that the big difficulty in building these sorts of things is that they are *DANGEROUS*. It is in fact rather simple to build a small cyclotron or fusion reactor, but the reason it's hard to find step by step instructions is that without too much trouble, you could end up with a device that could kill you with radiation.

Yup, there's the BIG issue, and not something you can just say "Oh I'll be really careful" to bypass.

twofish-quant said:
It's actually not that difficult to build your own cyclotron

http://cyclotronconference.org/

Once you are done with that, you can build your own fusion reactor (not kidding, look up Farnsworth fusor).

lol I have built my own version of a fusion reactor but thanks for the info

Does this help?

http://ianoneill.posterous.com/ikeas-large-hadron-collider"

mat1101 said:
lol I have built my own version of a fusion reactor but thanks for the info

You built a fusion reactor, yet you need to know the physics behind a particle acceleration...?

I'm pretty sure the physics behind building a fusion reactor is beyond that of a particle accelerator which is just essentially an electromagnetic field propelling charged subatomic particles (aka second semester of introductory physics) vs nuclear physics.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck on building it though!

Well I built it for my gr 8 science fair
but it was a fusion reactor like you may think, we built ours from scratch, a totally different version then one would use
It was much simpler and safer

1. What are some recommended basic books to start learning about science?

There are numerous basic books available for those interested in learning about science. Some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in science?

Yes, there are many books geared towards beginners in science. Some examples include "The Science Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained" by DK Publishing, "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, and "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan.

3. Are there any basic books for specific branches of science?

Yes, there are basic books available for various branches of science. Some examples include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson for astronomy, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot for biology, and "A Short History of Chemistry" by J. R. Partington for chemistry.

4. Is it better to start with a general science book or a book on a specific topic?

It depends on your personal preferences and interests. Starting with a general science book can give you a broad overview of different scientific concepts, while starting with a specific topic can allow for a deeper dive into that particular subject. It may be helpful to try a mix of both and see what works best for you.

5. Are there any interactive or hands-on books for learning about science?

Yes, there are many interactive and hands-on books available for learning about science. Some examples include "The Magic School Bus" series by Joanna Cole, "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay, and "The Dangerous Book for Boys" by Conn and Hal Iggulden. These books often include experiments, activities, and illustrations to make learning about science more engaging and fun.