Where can I find Pierre-Simon Laplace's Mécanique Céleste?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bluskyz
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Bluskyz
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I've been hunting for all five volumes of Mécanique Céleste by Laplace but I can't find all 5 translated to English. I found volumes one and five on Google books but the other three have remained hidden to me. Anybody who has a copy of this book or knows where to find a copy, please share your knowledge. I would assume that this book is not copy righted so distributing it would be fine but I may be wrong. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I checked archive.org and they seem to only have volume one and maybe two.
 
It seems that your search was sloppy. At least the translation by Nathaniel Bowditch is there in four volumes:
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles01laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles02laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles03laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles04laplrich

Wikipedia claims that there is a 5 volume English version without stating the author (maybe the same) which includes the original French. Maybe you have been searching for that one, but then I guess a translator's name would help...
 
Last edited:
0xDEADBEEF said:
It seems that your search was sloppy. At least the translation by Nathaniel Bowditch is there in four volumes:
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles01laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles02laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles03laplrich
http://archive.org/details/mcaniquecles04laplrich

Wikipedia claims that there is a 5 volume English version without stating the author (maybe the same) which includes the original French. Maybe you have been searching for that one, but then I guess a translator's name would help...

Thanks, I think 4 volumes will suffice. I don't know why I couldn't find the third and fourth volumes. Thanks again :)