Where can I go to start learning?

• Thread starter Taylor Christy
  • Start date
In summary: I would recommend doing some extra practice with electromagnetism if you want to be proficient.Have you taken a physics course that involves electromagnetism?Yes, I have taken Calc 1. We didn't go in-depth, but we covered some general concepts. I would recommend doing some extra practice with electromagnetism if you want to be proficient.
Taylor Christy
I want to major in physics. I love talking about physics concepts but I struggle with finding a linear pathway to follow. Where should I go to fill the holes of my learning and continue down the path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you in school that you are considering this? The most important thing is, and I cannot stress this enough, is a solid mathematical foundation. High school physics and Physics 101 is solely rooted in algebra. To be a successful undergraduate Physics student you must be strong in calc 1, calc 2, and calc 3. These will be your best friends or worst enemies in your lower division courses. As you get further, ordinary/ partial differential equations and linear algebra will be the most important topics in your upper division courses. If you want to be a physicist because you think it is cool, you must extend beyond that and question whether you like these topics from a mind blowing/philosophical point of view or do you love the formulations of these ideas through applied mathematics.

Taylor Christy said:
I struggle with finding a linear pathway to follow

Many colleges and universities list a recommended course sequence for physics majors on their web sites. Sometimes they also list the textbooks that they use, or you can search in our Science and Math Textbooks forum for recommendations for specific courses.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hanging out at PF is a start :) Are you still in high school?
@Greg Bernhardt I am a senior in high school (graduating in a few weeks). I have only taken one semester of physics in high school. Thanks for the tip! Will do!
@JohnPrior3 I like physics because of both of those things.

Taylor Christy said:
@Greg Bernhardt I am a senior in high school (graduating in a few weeks). I have only taken one semester of physics in high school. Thanks for the tip! Will do!
@JohnPrior3 I like physics because of both of those things.
What is your current math level? Have you taken a physics course that involves electromagnetism?

I have taken Calc 1. We didn't go in-depth, but we covered some general concepts.

Related to Where can I go to start learning?

1. Where can I find resources for learning?

There are many resources available for learning, such as online courses, textbooks, educational websites, and even local libraries or community centers. It's important to choose a resource that best fits your learning style and goals.

2. How do I know which topic to start learning?

It's important to first identify your interests and goals. This will help you narrow down the topics you want to learn about. You can also do some research to see which topics are in demand or have a lot of available resources.

3. Is it better to learn on my own or take a class?

The answer to this question depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some people may prefer self-paced learning through online courses or textbooks, while others may benefit from the structure and guidance of a class. It's important to choose the method that works best for you.

4. Are there any free resources for learning?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning, such as online tutorials, educational videos, and open-source textbooks. You can also look into free classes or workshops offered by local organizations or educational institutions.

5. How do I stay motivated while learning?

Staying motivated can be a challenge, especially when learning something new. It's important to set realistic goals, take breaks when needed, and find a study method that works for you. Surrounding yourself with a supportive community or finding a study partner can also help keep you motivated.