Where Did I Go Wrong in Calculating the Kinetic Energy of an Asteroid Impact?

• B
  • Thread starter newjerseyrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary: Fortunately, the speeds and energies involved in this scenario are purely theoretical and would not realistically occur in our current space exploration technology. The space shuttle would never be able to reach these speeds and would disintegrate upon re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.
newjerseyrunner
I want to know how fast the space shuttle would have to hit the Earth to unleash the same kinetic energy as the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. I've already determined that it's relativistic, by showing that Newtonian physics gives a v greater than c
4.2e25J = (2e6 * v ^ 2 ) / 2.
8.4e25J = 2e6 * v ^ 2
v = sqrt(8.4e25J / 2e6)
v = 6,480,740,698 m/s
But once I plug in the equations, I get a wrong result.

KE = (m * c ^ 2) / sqrt(1 - (v ^ 2 / c ^ 2))
KE / (m * c ^ 2) = sqrt(1 - (v ^ 2 / c ^ 2))
((KE / (m * c ^ 2)) ^ 2) - 1 = -(v ^ 2 / c ^ 2)
v = -sqrt((((KE / (m * c ^ 2)) ^ 2) - 1) * c ^ 2)

KE = 4.2e25J
c = 1
m = 2e6kg

v = -sqrt((((4.2e25 / (2e6)) ^ 2) - 1) * 1)
v = -2.1e+19

I'm expecting an answer between 0 and 1, where did I go wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the first step.

newjerseyrunner said:
I want to know how fast the space shuttle would have to hit the Earth to unleash the same kinetic energy as the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. I've already determined that it's relativistic, by showing that Newtonian physics gives a v greater than c
4.2e25J = (2e6 * v ^ 2 ) / 2.
8.4e25J = 2e6 * v ^ 2
v = sqrt(8.4e25J / 2e6)
v = 6,480,740,698 m/s
But once I plug in the equations, I get a wrong result.

KE / (m * c ^ 2) = sqrt(1 - (v ^ 2 / c ^ 2))
((KE / (m * c ^ 2)) ^ 2) - 1 = -(v ^ 2 / c ^ 2)
v = -sqrt((((KE / (m * c ^ 2)) ^ 2) - 1) * c ^ 2)

KE = 4.2e25J
c = 1
m = 2e6kg

v = -sqrt((((4.2e25 / (2e6)) ^ 2) - 1) * 1)
v = -2.1e+19

I'm expecting an answer between 0 and 1, where did I go wrong?
You mixed nominator and denominator of the quotient on the RHS of your second line.

and with setting c = 1

fresh_42 said:
You mixed nominator and denominator of the quotient on the RHS of your second line.
Where? I divided both sides of the equation by the term m * c ^ 2? It was in the numerator of the RHS in the 1st line and in the denominator of the LHS on the second line. I'm sure this is going to be one of those things that's stupidly obvious once I see it, but I'm still missing it.
BvU said:
and with setting c = 1
I did? Isn't that the value I'm supposed to use? If I want v as a percentage of c, shouldn't c be 1 exactly?

You have ##a = b/c## and proceed with ##a/b = c##
newjerseyrunner said:
Isn't that the value I'm supposed to use?
No: c is 3 x 108 in your system of units.

v/c is usually called ##\beta##. Your numerical value for KE/m has a factor c2 that you can't simply set to 1.

Likes newjerseyrunner
... instead of ##a/b = 1/c##

Likes newjerseyrunner
BvU said:
You have ##a = b/c## and proceed with ##a/b = c##

No: c is 3 x 108 in your system of units.

v/c is usually called ##\beta##. Your numerical value for KE/m has a factor c2 that you can't simply set to 1.
Oh, see, there's the stupid mistake. I need caffeine. I still would have gotten the wrong answer though so thanks pointing out my unit mistake too. :)

There's a few other problems to deal with in this scenario: they had big problems with re-entry even at very low velocities. Like most meteorites, your speeding shuttle would evaporate in the first few km of atmosphere -- fortunately.

I get ##\beta = {465\over 466}## and worry about fuel prices (but only for a short time).

[edit] Missed ! see #14 below

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
I'm still getting something very wrong.

Relativistic Kinetic Energy

Divide both sides by m * c ^ 2
(m * c ^ 2) / KE = sqrt(1 - (v ^ 2 / c ^ 2))

Square both sides
((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 = 1 - (v ^ 2 / c ^ 2)

Replace the subtraction by addition of a negative
((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 = 1 + -(v ^ 2 / c ^ 2)

Subtract 1 from both sides
((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 - 1 = -(v ^ 2 / c ^ 2)

Simplify the negative
((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 - 1 = -v ^ 2 / c ^ 2

Multiply both sides by c ^ 2
(((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 - 1) * c ^ 2 = -v ^ 2

Take the square root of both sides
sqrt((((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 - 1) * c ^ 2) = -v

Multiple both sides by -1
v = -sqrt((((m * c ^ 2) / KE)^2 - 1) * c ^ 2)

Input known values
v = -sqrt((((2e6 * 3e5 ^ 2) / 4.2e25)^2 - 1) * 3e5 ^ 2)

Solve
v = -300000 i

BvU said:
There's a few other problems to deal with in this scenario: they had big problems with re-entry even at very low velocities. Like most meteorites, your speeding shuttle would evaporate in the first few km of atmosphere -- fortunately.
Agreed, this is purely theoretical assuming perfect conditions. No atmosphere.

I think you still have a sign error which gives you the imaginary solution. ##\sqrt{-v^2} = vi \neq -v##.

Likes newjerseyrunner
Yes, and this is a not-so-smart way to find something close to 300000.

You have ##\displaystyle {\rm{E} \over \ mc^2} = 233 = \gamma = {1\over \sqrt{1-\beta^2}} \ ##, so clearly ##\beta\approx 1## and you can write

##1-\beta^2 = (1+\beta) (1-\beta) = 2(1-\beta)##

and now I have to correct meself (post #10):$$
1-\beta ={\textstyle {1\over 2} } {1\over 233^2} \ \Rightarrow \ \beta = 1 - {1\over 108889} = {108888\over 108889} \ \Rightarrow v = 0.999991\ {\rm c} $$

Likes newjerseyrunner
BvU said:
newjerseyrunner said:
Agreed, this is purely theoretical assuming perfect conditions. No atmosphere.
##v \approx c##, and ##c \approx 3 \times 10^8 m/s##, so if the atmosphere is 100km thick, the shuttle will take approximately 0.3 milliseconds to traverse it. Will the spaceship evaporate in that period? Does it matter? You're still depositing a mole of joules into the system.

Edit: Of some relevance.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
Yes, and this is a not-so-smart way to find something close to 300000.

You have ##\displaystyle {\rm{E} \over \ mc^2} = 233 = \gamma = {1\over \sqrt{1-\beta^2}} \ ##, so clearly ##\beta\approx 1## and you can write

##1-\beta^2 = (1+\beta) (1-\beta) = 2(1-\beta)##

and now I have to correct meself (post #10):$$
1-\beta ={\textstyle {1\over 2} } {1\over 233^2} \ \Rightarrow \ \beta = 1 - {1\over 108889} = {108888\over 108889} \ \Rightarrow v = 0.999991\ {\rm c} $$
Awesome, that's the exact same answer I got when I put in 299792458 instead of 3e5, just with an i in it. I'm sure I'd find the mistake if I looked, but I don't really care if my mistake only changes the imaginary factor. Thanks for the simplification too.

TeethWhitener said:
##v \approx c##, and ##c \approx 3 \times 10^8 m/s##, so if the atmosphere is 100km thick, the shuttle will take approximately 0.3 milliseconds to traverse it. Will the spaceship evaporate in that period? Does it matter? You're still depositing a mole of joules into the system.

Edit: Of some relevance.
I was thinking that too. I doesn't really make a difference, you're still adding the amount of energy that killed the dinosaurs into the system. It'd go off like a bomb and obliterate the biosphere no matter where something with that much power exploded.

TeethWhitener said:
Granted. I got stuck in the immediate vicinity of the actual speeds of descent and forget to 'think' relativistically.
Does it matter ? No. There's no way you can get this kind of energy in a 2000 metric ton vehicle. Think of it: the energy equivalent of 470 kilotonne of matter ...

But it sure is fun as a thought experiment... and to bicker about :smile:

1. Where do most math bugs occur?

Most math bugs occur in the order of operations. This is because many people forget to follow the correct order of operations (PEMDAS) and end up with incorrect results.

2. How can I find the bug in my math?

The best way to find a bug in your math is to carefully check each step of your calculations. Look for any mistakes or inconsistencies, and double check your work using a calculator or another method.

3. Why do math bugs happen?

Math bugs can happen for a variety of reasons, including simple mistakes, forgetting to use the correct order of operations, or using the wrong formula or equation.

4. Can math bugs affect my overall calculations?

Yes, even a small math bug can greatly affect your overall calculations. This is why it's important to carefully check your work and fix any errors before moving on to the next step.

5. How can I prevent math bugs from happening?

To prevent math bugs, it's important to double check your work and use a systematic approach to your calculations. This includes following the correct order of operations and using formulas and equations correctly.