Where did I go wrong? (Moment of Inertia)

In summary, you are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary."
Double A
I have been working on this problem for the past 48 hours and out off all the ways I keep doing it I still get the wrong answer. Maybe someone can show me what I did wrong in the following calculations.

The Problem:

Many machines employ cams fro various purposes, such as opening and closing valves. In Figure P10.29 (Not shown here), the cam is a circular disk rotating on a shaft that does not pass through the center of the disk. In the manufacture of the cam, a uniform solid cylinder of radius R is first machined. Then an off-center hole of radius R/2 is drilled, parallel to the axis of the cylinder, and centered at a point a distance R/2 from the center of the cylinder. The cam, of mass M, is then slipped onto the circular shaft and welded into place. What is the kinetic energy of the cam when it is rotating with angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] about the axis of the shaft?

My closest answer:

To find the moment of inertia of the whole cylinder I have to find the total mass of the cylinder because M is the mass of the cam with the hole in it. So,
[tex]M_d = M - \frac{1}{4}M=\frac{3}{4}M[/tex]
[tex]M_d=\frac{3}{4}M[/tex]
[tex]M=\frac{4}{3}M_d[/tex]

Now, the moment of inertia about the center of mass of the disk is
[tex]I_{CM_D} = \frac{1}{2}MR^2+MD^2[/tex]
The parallel axis theorem is needed because the disk is rotating about an axis not at its center of mass.
[tex]I_{CM_D} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{4}{3}M_d)R^2+(\frac{1}{4}M)(\frac{R}{2})^2 = \frac{35}{48}MR^2[/tex]

The moment of inertia of the hole drilled into the cam is
[tex]I_{hole} = I_{CM} + MD^2 = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{M}{4})R^2+(\frac{M}{4})R^2= \frac{3}{16}MR^2[/tex]

The total moment of inertia of the cam is
[tex]I_{total} = I_{disk} - I_{hole} = \frac{35}{48}MR^2 - \frac{3}{16}MR^2 = \frac{13}{24}MR^2[/tex]

The equation for rotational kinetic energy is
[tex]K_R = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

So then the kinetic energy of the cam is
[tex]K_R = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{13}{24}MR^2)\omega^2 = \frac{13}{48}MR^2\omega^2[/tex]

However, when I reference my answer with the true answer I am wrong. The true answer is
[tex]K_R = \frac{23}{48}MR^2\omega^2[/tex]

I'm off by [tex]\frac{5}{24}[/tex]. Some one please tell me where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Double A said:
Now, the moment of inertia about the center of mass of the disk is
The parallel axis theorem is needed because the disk is rotating about an axis not at its center of mass.
[tex]I_{CM_D} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{4}{3}M_d)R^2+(\frac{1}{4}M)(\frac{R}{2})^2 = \frac{35}{48}MR^2[/tex]

I get
[tex]I_{CM_D} = M (\frac{1}{2}R^2+D^2)[/tex]
[tex]I_{CM_D} = \frac{4}{3}M_d (\frac{R^2}{2}+\frac{R^2}{4})[/tex]
[tex]I_{CM_D} = \frac{4}{3}M_d (\frac{3}{4}{R^2})[/tex]
[tex]I_{CM_D} = M_d R^2[/tex]

The hole is centered over the axis of rotation, so for the hole I get
[tex]I_{hole}=\frac{1}{2}M_{hole}R_{hole}^2=\frac{1}{24} M_d R^2[/tex]
so that
[tex]I_{net}=\frac{23}{24} M_d R^2[/tex]
from there the rest is pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
Ohhh... So I was using the wrong mass when calculating for the moment of inertia for the disk and was applying the parallel axis theorem when calculating the moment of inertia of the hole were it was not necessary.

Thank you for your time and help.

How exactly are you getting [tex]I_{hole} = \frac{1}{24}M_dR^2[/tex] I'm not seeing how you got that from [tex]I_{hole} = \frac{1}{2}M_{hole}R_{hole}^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Double A said:
How exactly are you getting [tex]I_{hole} = \frac{1}{24}M_dR^2[/tex] I'm not seeing how you got that from [tex]I_{hole} = \frac{1}{2}M_{hole}R_{hole}^2[/tex]

[tex]R_{hole}=\frac{1}{2} R[/tex]
[tex]M_{hole}=\frac{1}{3} M_d[/tex]
Remember that [tex]M_d[/tex] is the mass of the cam with the hole cut out
so it's [tex]M_{hole}=\frac{1}{4}M=\frac{1}{4} (\frac{4}{3} M_d)=\frac{1}{3}M_d[/tex]
plugging in the values:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}M_{hole}R_{hole}^2=\frac{1}{2} (\frac{1}{3}M_d) (\frac{1}{2} R)^2=\frac{1}{2} \times \frac{1}{4} \times \frac{1}{3} M_d R^2=\frac{1}{24} M_dR^2[/tex]

Ok, thanks that clears everything up for me. Thank you for your assistance.

Hi all,
I'm currently working on this question too.(this thread is quite sometime back)
One thing I don't understand why do we have to define another value for mass of the disk(i understand that without doing so we can't arrive at the ans).
I mean it is stated in the qns that 'M' is the mass of the cam slipped & welded onto the shaft.
Is it due to my understanding of the question or a misconception of the concepts involved?

Thanks
Augustine

1. What is the moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects move and behave in different situations, such as when they are spinning or rolling.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The resulting value is a measure of the object's distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass directly affects the moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia and will be more difficult to rotate. Objects with more mass closer to the axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia and will be easier to rotate.

4. How does the moment of inertia change when an object's shape is altered?

The moment of inertia is directly influenced by an object's shape. Changing the shape of an object can change its distribution of mass and therefore its moment of inertia. For example, a solid disc has a different moment of inertia compared to a hollow cylinder of the same mass and radius.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, where it is used to design structures and machines that can withstand rotational forces. It is also important in sports, as it affects the performance of equipment such as golf clubs and tennis rackets. In physics, moment of inertia is used to study the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.