Where Do Electrons Go During Alpha Decay?

• Thread starter kelvin490
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, during an alpha decay, a helium nucleus is emitted and the daughter atom has a decrease in the number of protons and neutrons. This daughter atom may have an excess number of electrons, causing it to exist as an ion. The electrons from the alpha particle will interact with atoms in its path, causing ionization and ultimately resulting in the formation of a helium atom. The charges in the system remain balanced throughout the event. It is unclear if the excess electrons contribute to the release of radioactive energy.
kelvin490
Gold Member
In an alpha decay, an helium nucleus is emitted and the daugther becomes less in number of protons and neutrons. Does this daugther carries excess number of electrons so that it exists in the form of an ion? If not, where do the electrons go?

For example, when U decays into an Th and an alpha particle, does the Th exists as an ion?

Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin490 said:
In an alpha decay, an helium nucleus is emitted and the daugther becomes less in number of protons and neutrons. Does this daugther carries excess number of electrons so that it exists in the form of an ion? If not, where do the electrons go?

For example, when U decays into an Th and an alpha particle, does the Th exists as an ion?

I guess it does exist as an ion for a fraction of second and then loses its two surplus electrons to the surroundings.On its passage through the air the alpha particle creates more ions by collision and this will be followed by ion recombination.Eventually the alpha particle will be too slow to create further ions and it will gather up two of the spare electrons and change to a helium atom.Throughout the event charge is conserved so I suppose you could describe this by saying that at the start of the event the parent atom loses an alpha particle and two electrons and at the end of the event two electrons attach themselves to the alpha particle.

Dadface said:
I guess it does exist as an ion for a fraction of second and then loses its two surplus electrons to the surroundings.On its passage through the air the alpha particle creates more ions by collision and this will be followed by ion recombination.Eventually the alpha particle will be too slow to create further ions and it will gather up two of the spare electrons and change to a helium atom.Throughout the event charge is conserved so I suppose you could describe this by saying that at the start of the event the parent atom loses an alpha particle and two electrons and at the end of the event two electrons attach themselves to the alpha particle.

Does it imply that radioactive energy is also released in the form of electrons' kinetic energy?

kelvin490 said:
Does it imply that radioactive energy is also released in the form of electrons' kinetic energy?

I think so kelvin.From momentum considerations the alpha particle gets the bulk of the KE and the remainder is picked up by the rest of the system this including the two electrons.

You asked a brilliant question and I would be interested to hear yours or any other views.I did a search and found nothing.

Dadface said:
I think so kelvin.From momentum considerations the alpha particle gets the bulk of the KE and the remainder is picked up by the rest of the system this including the two electrons.

You asked a brilliant question and I would be interested to hear yours or any other views.I did a search and found nothing.

Thank you Dadface. Most textbooks mention that the energy converted from the lost mass in radioactive decay are in the form of gamma ray, KE of alpha and Beta particles etc. but surprisingly they seldom mention about the KE of the excess electrons in the daugther, and none of them talk about whether they exist as atom or ion.

kelvin490 said:

The alpha particle slows down in the surrounding matter and becomes a helium atom. Two electrons would leave the vicinity of the new atom and go in search of an excess of + charge, which would be in the direction of the alpha particle. The alpha particle excites and ionizes atoms along its path until it comes to rest as a helium atom. There is a cascade of electrons more or less along the alpha trajectory. In the end, the charges balance - i.e., there are no new charges, + or -, created.

Related to Where Do Electrons Go During Alpha Decay?

1. Where do electrons go when they move?

Electrons can move from one atom to another, or within an atom's energy levels. They can also move through materials, such as in an electrical current.

2. How do electrons move in an atom?

Electrons move in specific energy levels around the nucleus of an atom. They can jump from one energy level to another by absorbing or releasing energy.

3. Do electrons ever disappear?

No, electrons do not disappear. They can change energy levels or move from one atom to another, but they cannot be created or destroyed.

4. Can electrons move faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This applies to electrons as well.

5. Why do electrons move in a specific direction in an electrical current?

Electrons are negatively charged particles, so they are attracted to the positive terminal of a battery or power source. This creates a flow of electrons, or electrical current, in a specific direction.