Where do electrons go (?) within a covalent bond

In summary, electrons within a covalent bond do not "go" anywhere, but rather exist in a matter wave distributed over both molecules. The electrons merge electromagnetically due to polarity, creating a "glue" that holds the atoms together. This is based on the principle of "opposites attract" as the electrons are attracted to the opposing nucleus. The behavior of electrons in a covalent bond can be better understood by thinking of them as wavelike particles rather than solid pellets.
karen_lorr
"Where" do electrons "go"(?) within a covalent bond

If you take a water molecule (H-O-H) with 2 covalent bonds (imagine, just for now, that this is the only 2 atoms around ;-).

The H’s electron and one of the O’s electrons (within the covalent bond) must be “somewhere”.

They were originally in an atomic orbital around their own nucleus.
But where are they “after the bond has formed”.

Do they orbit the whole molecule or do they continue to orbit their own (original) nuclei?
How is the bond formed (a sort of glue type analogy) – what actually makes the atoms “stick” ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you.
The link to the PDF was very helpful.
I think I understand it now - the atom's electrons (in a quantum sense) are wavelike and in a covalent bond the waves merge electromagnetically due to polarity of (in this case) the H-O-H, and it is the merged waves that "stick/glue" the H to the O due to "opposits attract" - as the electron wave/particles now spend more time between the nuclie than elsewhere as each electron is attracted to the other nuclius (so the H electron to the O nuclius, and the O electron to the H nuclius).

I hope I have it ?
(the last time I did physics was over 30 years ago - it may take some time to come back ;-)

1. Where do electrons go within a covalent bond?

Electrons within a covalent bond are shared between two atoms, forming a strong bond between them. The electrons do not physically move from one atom to another, but rather create a stable balance of positive and negative charges within the bond.

2. Do electrons always stay within the covalent bond?

Yes, electrons within a covalent bond generally remain within the bond. However, in some cases, these electrons can shift between atoms or participate in chemical reactions, but they still remain within the overall covalent bond.

3. What happens to the electrons when a covalent bond is broken?

When a covalent bond is broken, the shared electrons are either evenly distributed between the two atoms or transferred to one of the atoms. This depends on the type of covalent bond and the elements involved in the bond.

4. Can electrons be shared unequally in a covalent bond?

Yes, electrons can be shared unequally in a covalent bond, resulting in a polar covalent bond. This occurs when one atom has a stronger pull on the shared electrons, creating a partial positive and partial negative charge within the bond.

5. How do the number of electrons in the outermost shell affect covalent bonding?

The number of electrons in the outermost shell, also known as the valence electrons, determines the type of covalent bond that can form between two atoms. The more valence electrons an atom has, the stronger its ability to form covalent bonds with other atoms.