Where do the free electrons go and how do I find the energy level?

In summary: You can have higher energy states with larger ##n##.In summary, the conversation revolves around quantum physics and explaining the subatomic particles in a Carbon ^5+ ion. The main question is where the free electrons go in this ion and if the formula En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2 is correct for calculating the ground state. The expert summarizes that in a C5+ atom, the other electrons are gone, leaving only one left. The formula En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2 may not be the best approach and using the proper Rydberg constant, ##R_M##, is recommended. The n in the formula represents the principal quantum number, which starts at
Marie131963
Hi everyone

I am new to quantum physics, [well any physics before this year] I am doing a course where I am asked to explain the sub atomic particles and why my chemical is like it like hydrogen.

I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.

Also I feel a bit lost on a energy ground state level, I Know that there it's an atomic number 6(Z), what is the n, and then there is the l and m1 and m2. I need to calaculate the energy level ground state and the next 4 levels. can anyone explain in easy English I'm obviously very lost!

is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2

Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?

As I said I am really new at this, not even sure whether they expect me to go into explaining sub atomic partcles into the smallest particles, do I include the neutrions, quarks, gluons, etc when they talk of the atomic particles. I am not lost honest!

Any help would be so useful if you could let me know where the electrons go and if I am on the right path equation wise it will really help. Any help will be very welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marie131963 said:
I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.
If you have a C5+ atom, then the other electrons are simply gone. There is only one left.

Marie131963 said:
is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2
It depends on whether you account for the motion of the nucleus or not. The better approach is to use the proper Rydberg constant for that atom, ##R_M## instead of ##R_\infty##, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_constant
Marie131963 said:
Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?
The ##n## in the formula is the principal quantum number. It is a positive integer and starts at 1 the ground state).

Related to Where do the free electrons go and how do I find the energy level?

1. Where do the free electrons go?

Free electrons can be found in the outer shells of atoms, where they are loosely bound and able to move freely. They can also be found in conductive materials such as metals, where they are able to move in response to an electric field.

2. How do I find the energy level of an electron?

The energy level of an electron can be determined by its position in an atom's electron configuration. Electrons closer to the nucleus have lower energy levels, while those in outer shells have higher energy levels. The energy level can also be found using spectroscopic techniques, which measure the energy required for an electron to move from one energy level to another.

3. What factors affect the movement of free electrons?

The movement of free electrons can be affected by several factors, including temperature, electric and magnetic fields, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the electrons, impacting their ability to conduct electricity.

4. How does the energy level of an electron relate to its behavior?

The energy level of an electron determines its behavior and properties. Electrons in higher energy levels are more likely to participate in chemical reactions and can be excited to even higher levels through collisions with other particles. The movement of electrons in conductive materials is also directly related to their energy levels.

5. Can the energy level of an electron be changed?

Yes, the energy level of an electron can be changed through various processes such as absorption or emission of photons, collisions with other particles, or changes in the surrounding environment. This is often how electrons gain or lose energy in order to move and participate in chemical reactions or electrical currents.