Pity the OP. This thread is way off topic.
goodphy said:
I'm right now actually very confusing about power calculation for the source. In this case, voltage source is directly connected to the inductor. EMF of inductor is the same to voltage source and only difference is current flow direction. (In source, current flows out from + terminal while at the same time, current flows into + terminal of inductor.) Power calculation is P(t) = I(t)×V(t) and I and V are scalar value. Hmm...how can I put polarity of current into power calculation? I mean calculation should give me the picture that inductor gains energy while source loses and via versa.
It sounds like you did not understand the following, which is the actual answer to your original question.
Hesch said:
To be more exact: P(t) = I(t) * V(t).Integrated for a period, the result will be zero, but not for a half period.
P=I*V is valid always. It applies for each instant of time, and it applies for the average over any period of time. Of particular interest is the average over a whole AC cycle, which we call AC analysis.So, choose several points of time within a single AC cycle, and apply P=I*V to each time point. (I, V, and P are all signed scalar quantities) For an inductive load, you should find that P is positive for half the time and negative for half the time. If you average the P values over and entire AC cycle, the answer should be zero. In other words, the energy goes one direction for half the cycle and the other direction for half. All that back and forth adds up to zero; that is what we call "imaginary power".If the load is pure resistance, do the same exercise. You should find that when V is +, I is + so that P=V*I is +. When V is - then I is -, so that P=V*I is also +. The
direction of P is + for all times in the AC cycle. Obviously, when you add up all those + values, the sum is +. This is what we call "real power". But if you stick to one time point at once, and forget averages, there is no real and imaginary, no zero sum over a whole cycle. There are just values of P(t)=V(t)*I(t) which are sometimes + and sometimes -. That applies always, DC or AC, or any non-sinusoidal signal, or non-repetitive signals. Much of the confusion comes only when trying to characterize behavior over extended intervals of time.