Where does reality end and imagination begin?

• Thread starter Overdose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, the author believes that there is a fine line between imagination and reality, and that without imagination, reality would be worse than useless. Imagination is the mother of creation, and without it, we would not be able to create anything.
Overdose
Its has occurred to me for some time that there is a fine line between imagination and reality...i think the mistake people always make is with the need to classify an experience as either being an hallucination/aborition or something wholey real. Surely what we percieve as reality (whether sober or high as kite) is a subtle blend of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does there have to be any line at all? Just about anything in imagination can be reflected in reality. So long as you imagine it so. Couldn't you imagine something in reality? So imagination seems to be how we see reality, thus destroying the line.

photon said:
Does there have to be any line at all? Just about anything in imagination can be reflected in reality. So long as you imagine it so. Couldn't you imagine something in reality? So imagination seems to be how we see reality, thus destroying the line.

Your probably right not so much of a line as a blur, the only way you can be sure something is real i suppose is if someone else experiences the same thing, even then that 'other person' could just be a figment of your imagination..oh hang on not really sure i want to go down this round :eek:

photon said:

They are inaccurate reflections.Imagination takes reality and adds non realistic things to it. For example, "eating" a wormhole is a figment of imagination. It could "eat" you, but you can't "eat" it.
Or goblins and the sort are figments of imagination.
There is a very fine line between imagination and reality. :cool:

There is no clear dividing line because the two are not divided from each other. Reality supplies the raw materials to the imagination; the imagination combines things experienced in reality in new ways, some of which exist outside of it and some of which do not. But things born in imagination can become reality (for example, inventions).

Of course, if there were not this connection between reality and imagination, then imagination would be worse than useless; it would be actually detract from our ability to live and operate in the world.

what if past imagination creates reality?

AND THEN, todays reality plus a little imagination creates the future reality, etc etc

if reality is manifest energy, do we need imagination to direct the energy??

love and peace,

If we have to project peace and joy to live it, and have it endure into the future; then what seeds are we, as a species sowing, on the grand scale of earthly affairs? This would be a clear case of virtue being its own reward. Do unto the future, as you would have it be. We all want such different prizes in our little lunch sacks!

Overdose said:
Its has occurred to me for some time that there is a fine line between imagination and reality...i think the mistake people always make is with the need to classify an experience as either being an hallucination/aborition or something wholey real. Surely what we percieve as reality (whether sober or high as kite) is a subtle blend of the two?

Every time I wake up in the evening. :eek:

Imagination is a part of reality, there is no line between the two. Together they describe a continuum we call existence.

"Once I dreamed I was a butterfly, or am I really a butterfly dreaming I am a man?"
Chuang Tzu

When you perceive reality, you subconciously alter your perceptions. You enhance those sensations to make them more immediately useful to your rational mind. You are not really observing reality, not quite. When you imagine things, those mental images are really extant in your mind; they are real.

Njorl

Overdose said:

Reality ends when the fifth is opened, and not a moment before.

franznietzsche said:
Reality ends when the fifth is opened, and not a moment before.
c'mon, you can't just open it! if you're going to drink, DRINK!

it do release the imagination tho, WOW!

we still need imagination to give us a view of a potential future that creates the desire for that future. the desire in turn creates action to fulfill that future.

imagination is the mother of creation. creation of reality!

love&peace,
olde drunk

olde drunk said:
what if past imagination creates reality?

this can be humanity's greatest achievement, or greatest downfall. imagination is one of the most wonderful assets we have, and because it can help form our reality, it is essential to use it responsibly :smile:

When you perceive reality, you subconciously alter your perceptions. You enhance those sensations to make them more immediately useful to your rational mind. You are not really observing reality, not quite. When you imagine things, those mental images are really extant in your mind; they are real.

njorl, once again you have a way with words. :approve:

What is reality, if not the by-product of that which has been imagined? Even before we were born, weren't we but a passing notion within our parents' minds?

Last edited:

1. Where does reality end and imagination begin?

This question has been debated by philosophers, scientists, and artists for centuries. While there is no definitive answer, it is generally accepted that reality refers to the physical world and the things that can be perceived through our senses, while imagination refers to the mental images and ideas that are not based on direct sensory experience.

2. Is reality objective or subjective?

This is a complex question with no simple answer. Some argue that reality is purely subjective and based on our individual perceptions, while others believe that there is an objective reality that exists independently of our perceptions. Ultimately, the answer may lie somewhere in between, with our subjective experiences shaping our understanding of the objective reality.

3. Can imagination influence reality?

There is evidence to suggest that imagination can indeed influence reality. For example, many groundbreaking scientific discoveries and inventions were first conceived in the imaginations of their creators. Additionally, our thoughts and beliefs can shape our actions and behaviors, which can have a direct impact on our reality.

4. How does the brain distinguish between reality and imagination?

It is still not fully understood how the brain distinguishes between reality and imagination. However, studies have shown that different areas of the brain are activated when we are experiencing something in reality versus when we are imagining it. For example, the visual cortex is active when we are seeing something in reality, while it is less active during imagination.

5. Is it possible to control our perception of reality through imagination?

There is some evidence to suggest that we can influence our perception of reality through our imagination. For example, visualization techniques have been used to help people overcome fears and improve performance in various activities. However, the extent to which we can control our perception of reality through imagination is still a subject of ongoing research.