Where does the galactic distance equation come from?

• Thread starter Ayame17
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to determine if certain data points fall within a circle with defined radius and central coordinates. The equation used is d = sqrt((l-l0)^2 + (b-b0)^2)/r, where l0 and b0 are the central galactic coordinates, r is the radius in degrees, and d is the distance from the central coordinates. It is derived from Pythagoras' theorem and a rearrangement of the equation for a circle.
Ayame17
I'm currently working on my final year project, and one of the little bits to do is to see if certain data points fall within a circle with my own defined radius and central co-ordinates. I've been given the equation to use:

[tex]d = \frac{\sqrt{(l-l_{0})^2 + (b-b_{0})^2}}{r}[/tex]

where [tex]l_{0}[/tex] and [tex] b_{0}[/tex] are my central galactic co-ordinates, r is my radius (in degrees) and d is the distance the data point is from the central co-ordinates (also in degrees) - if d is less than 1, then the point is within my radius.

Although I don't need to, I'd just like to know where the equation comes from! I can see how the right hand side of the equals is a rearrangement of the equation of a circle, but I don't see how the distance is put in. Any help is appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I realized that it must be Pythagoras, as that's where the equation for a circle comes from, it was more the fact that - when rearranged from the equation - the hypotenuese would be [tex]r^2d^2[/tex]. Since it is normally just [tex]r^2[/tex], I wasn't sure if you were able to just put the distance ([tex]d^2[/tex]) in.

Related to Where does the galactic distance equation come from?

1. What is the Galactic distance equation?

The Galactic distance equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance between two objects in space within the Milky Way galaxy. It takes into account the object's apparent magnitude, absolute magnitude, and interstellar extinction to determine its distance from Earth.

2. How accurate is the Galactic distance equation?

The accuracy of the Galactic distance equation depends on the quality of the data used for the calculations. With precise and reliable data, the equation can provide accurate distance estimates within a few percent. However, uncertainties in the data can lead to larger margins of error.

3. Can the Galactic distance equation be used for objects outside the Milky Way galaxy?

No, the Galactic distance equation is specifically designed for objects within the Milky Way galaxy. It is not applicable for objects in other galaxies, as the parameters used in the equation are specific to our own galaxy.

4. What are the units used in the Galactic distance equation?

The units used in the Galactic distance equation depend on the specific parameters used in the calculation. For example, apparent magnitude is measured in magnitudes, while distance is typically measured in units of parsecs (pc) or kiloparsecs (kpc).

5. How is the Galactic distance equation useful in astronomy?

The Galactic distance equation is an essential tool in astronomy, as it allows scientists to accurately determine the distances of objects within our own galaxy. This information is crucial for studying the structure and evolution of the Milky Way, as well as for understanding the properties and behaviors of individual objects within it.