Where is the Error in Calculating the Magnetic Field of a Current Loop?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
AriAstronomer
Messages
46
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find magnetic field along the z-axis of a circular loop, radius R with constant current lying in the z=0 plane.


Homework Equations


vec(r) = vector of r.
zhat = unit vector z.


The Attempt at a Solution


So starting with the definition, B = (u_o I/4pi) (dl x vec(r))/r^3, where:
\vec(r) = z(zhat) - R(s hat), thus:
r = root(z^2 + R^2)

also dl x vec(r) = vec(r)dl(phi x s) = (dl)(-zhat). Since dl = length around current loop = 2piR:
dl x vec(r) = -2piR(zhat) vec(r).

Here's where I get stuck.
If I continue along this line of thought, zhat (from the cross product) dotted with vec(r) will give me z, and my numerator will end up being -2piRz, but the answer says the numerator should be -2piR^2. Basically, I should have an R instead of z, but I don't know where I'm going wrong. I know other approaches will give me the right answer, but can someone identify along my train of thought what the problem with this approach is?

Thanks,
Ari
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking at it, but judging from the diagram it looks like dBz should equal cosine theta, not sine theta which is what they're claiming... Still kind of confused.
 
AriAstronomer said:
I'm looking at it, but judging from the diagram it looks like dBz should equal cosine theta, not sine theta which is what they're claiming... Still kind of confused.

Draw your own picture. When theta goes to 90 degrees dB = dB_z as required.