Where is the Point of Zero Gravitational Force Between Earth and the Moon?

In summary, the question asks for the point at which the force of gravitational force exerted on an object is equal between the Earth and the moon. Using the equation Fg=GmM/R^2, and the given distances and masses, the point is determined to be R/[√(1/0.012) +1] from the object towards the moon and R - R/[√(1/0.012) +1] from the object towards the Earth. However, this raises a question as to whether the distance can be negative, and further clarification is needed.
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

At a ertain point between Earth and the moon the total gravitation force exted on an object by both planets is 0. The Earth - moon distance is 3.84 x 10^5 and the moon has 1.2% of the mass of earth. Where is this point located.

Homework Equations

Fg=GmM/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i drew a diagram and put the distance R between the Earth and the moon and the object somewhere closer to the moon. I then wrote that the distance from the object from the Earth is (R-X). I then said that the distance from the moon to the object was X.

Sine it says the Gravitational force exerted on the object at a point is the same... i get

Fgm=Fge
(GmMm)/(X^2) = (GmMe)/(R-X)^2

x<R

i simplify this too
X^2 = (R-X)^2
0 = 0.988x^2 - 0.024RX + (0.012)*R^2

if i put this into the quadratic formula i get values

x= 0.5

and x = 9327.44m

Now if my answer are correct, does this mean that both are answers? so i would say?

this point is located 9327.44 meters from the moon and 374.672.56 meters from earth.

and this point is also located

0.5 meters from the moon and 383999.5 meters from the earth?

but at this second point it couldn't match my first point cause the force of gravity from the Earth would decrease while the force of gravity on the moon would increase so how could the force exerted be the same? Anyway i would appreciate any help i can get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking Me ti be the mass of the Earth, and Mm the mass of the Moon, (GmMm)/(X^2) = (GmMe)/(R-X)^2 is correct. The next step is not: X^2 = (R-X)^2 is incorrect. Me and Mm are different so cannot both disappear.

Sine it says the Gravitational force exerted on the object at a point is the same... i get

Fgm=Fge
(GmMm)/(X^2) = (GmMe)/(R-X)^2

If the two forces were equivalent, that would imply the two forces pull with the same magnitude and in the SAME DIRECTION. If the two forces pulled in the same direction, and were of the same magnitude, the net force wouldn't be zero. The key idea is that the net force is in fact zero; hence, the two forces have to balance each other out (or cancel).

I hope this helps. If anyone finds fault, please correct me.

You also need to get your units straight. Is the distance from the Earth to the moon in feet, meters, miles, furlongs, etc? What about the units of G? What units is the mass of the Earth measured in?

voko said:
Taking Me ti be the mass of the Earth, and Mm the mass of the Moon, (GmMm)/(X^2) = (GmMe)/(R-X)^2 is correct. The next step is not: X^2 = (R-X)^2 is incorrect. Me and Mm are different so cannot both disappear.

Yea you're right it hsould have een X^2 =(0.012)*(R-X)^2 cause Mm = 0.012*Me but it was included in that step in calculation of the the next step

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
If the two forces were equivalent, that would imply the two forces pull with the same magnitude and in the SAME DIRECTION. If the two forces pulled in the same direction, and were of the same magnitude, the net force wouldn't be zero. The key idea is that the net force is in fact zero; hence, the two forces have to balance each other out (or cancel).

I hope this helps. If anyone finds fault, please correct me.

So If i choose my + direction toward earth.

i would get Fnet = Fge - Fgm = 0
Fnet = (GmMe)/(r-x)^2 - (Gm(0.012)*Me)/x^2 = 0
Fge = Fgm ?

and solve for this?

SteamKing said:
You also need to get your units straight. Is the distance from the Earth to the moon in feet, meters, miles, furlongs, etc? What about the units of G? What units is the mass of the Earth measured in?

yea sorry i don't know why i didn't include it in the givens. Everything is in meters for distances. The radius R and X as well in meters. The mass of the Earth is in kilograms.

G is measured by (N*M^2)/Kg^2

Sorry about not including that in my given statement.

Me=5.98x10^24kg
Re=6.38 x 10^6 meters
G= 6.67x10^-11 (N*M^2)/kg^2

Here is what happens. $$ \frac {M_m} {X^2} = \frac {M_e} {(R - X)^2}
\\
\frac {(R - X)^2} {X^2} = \frac {M_e} {M_m}
\\
(\frac {R - X} {X})^2 = \frac {M_e} {M_m}
\\
\frac R X - 1 = \pm \sqrt {\frac {M_e} {M_m}}
$$

You need to choose the right sign. Which one is right?

voko said:
Here is what happens. $$ \frac {M_m} {X^2} = \frac {M_e} {(R - X)^2}
\\
\frac {(R - X)^2} {X^2} = \frac {M_e} {M_m}
\\
(\frac {R - X} {X})^2 = \frac {M_e} {M_m}
\\
\frac R X - 1 = \pm \sqrt {\frac {M_e} {M_m}}
$$

You need to choose the right sign. Which one is right?

The positive sign cause a distance can't be negative? So since this question asks for the Point at which the force of gravitational force exerted on the object is equal, R/X -1 is that point? Or do i solve for that X value, and express the point as a distance from the moon to the object and from the Earth to the object?

x=R/[√(1/0.012) +1]

therefore the moon is "R/[√(1/0.012) +1]" from the object and the Earth is "R - R/[√(1/0.012) +1]" from the object?

I'm just having a hard time understanding how you consider the exact point.

Plutonium88 said:
So since this question asks for the Point at which the force of gravitational force exerted on the object is equal, R/X -1 is that point? Or do i solve for that X value, and express the point as a distance from the moon to the object and from the Earth to the object?
Voko set X as the distance of the point from the moon. Did you understand voko's equations?

Last edited:
Recall what R and X are - you defined them, so you should know!

For R/X - 1 to be negative, R has to be less than X, or one of them has to be negative - is that physically sensible?

haruspex said:
Plutonium88 said:
So since this question asks for the Point at which the force of gravitational force exerted on the object is equal, R/X -1 is that point? Or do i solve for that X value, and express the point as a distance from the moon to the object and from the Earth to the object?
/QUOTE]
Voko set X as the distance of the point from the moon. Did you understand voko's equations?
Yes his equations are essentially the same as mine, except he was smart and took the two square pieces and combined them, where i turned it into a quadratic.

GmMe/(R-X)^2 = GmMm/X^2
He combined the X^2 + (R-X^2)

where i said

Mm(R-X)^2 = Me*X^2
0.012*Me(R-X)^2 = Me*X^2
(0.012)(R^2 - 2RX + X^2) = X^2** FIX **
0 = -0.988x^2 - 0.024RX + (0.012)R^2
So both his equation and my equation should yield the same answers FOR X no?

Last edited:
voko said:
Recall what R and X are - you defined them, so you should know!

For R/X - 1 to be negative, R has to be less than X, or one of them has to be negative - is that physically sensible?
R cannot be less than X because i defined X as the smaller portion, and no neither of them would be negative cause they are lengths

Also that's a cool way of thinking about it, If R is LESS* than x the fraction is less than 1 so it will be negative... cooolio

Last edited:
Plutonium88 said:
0 = 0.988x^2 - 0.024RX + (0.012)*R^2
I believe you have a sign wrong there.

haruspex said:
I believe you have a sign wrong there.

yessir i put a fix up top when i saw that.

Also the Distance R is measured in kilometers... I don't know why i said meters, i must have missread the question.

So when i solve the quadratic i get

X1 = 37912.03 KM

or x2 = -47239.97 KM

The negative answer, as you have discovered, is meaningless physically.

Related to Where is the Point of Zero Gravitational Force Between Earth and the Moon?

1. What is the cause of planetary motion?

The cause of planetary motion is the gravitational pull exerted by the sun and other celestial bodies. The force of gravity between the sun and a planet keeps the planet in orbit around the sun.

2. How do we calculate the speed of a planet's orbit?

The speed of a planet's orbit can be calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This relationship can be represented by the equation v = 2πr/T, where v is the orbital speed, r is the distance from the sun, and T is the orbital period.

3. What factors affect the shape of a planet's orbit?

The shape of a planet's orbit is primarily affected by the eccentricity of the orbit and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. The eccentricity of an orbit determines how elongated or circular it is, while the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies can cause slight deviations in the orbit's shape over time.

4. How do we explain retrograde motion in planetary orbits?

Retrograde motion occurs when a planet appears to temporarily move in the opposite direction of its normal orbital path. This phenomenon can be explained by the relative positions and movements of the Earth and the other planet in relation to the sun. As the Earth and other planet move in their respective orbits, there are certain points where their paths cross, causing the illusion of retrograde motion.

5. Can we accurately predict the future positions of planets?

Yes, we can accurately predict the future positions of planets using mathematical models such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion and Newton's law of universal gravitation. These models take into account the gravitational forces and other factors that influence planetary motion, allowing us to make precise predictions about the future positions of planets in our solar system.