Where Should You Stand to Avoid Wave Action in a Water Tank Experiment?

• Thread starter hallowon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d Wave
In summary, the experiment involves generating water waves with straight, parallel wave fronts separated by 3.00 m. These waves pass through two openings 5.00 m apart in a long board, with the end of the tank being 3.00 m beyond the board. The question asks where to stand in relation to the perpendicular bisector of the line between the openings in order to receive little or no wave action. Using the equation λ=(Xn/L)(d/n-0.5), where xn represents the horizontal distance between the perpendicular bisector and the nth nodal line, the answer is determined to be 1.25m. However, it is not specified which nodal line (n) to use, leading to
hallowon

Homework Statement

In a large water tank experiment, water waves are generated
with straight, parallel wave fronts, 3.00 m apart. The
wave fronts pass through two openings 5.00 m apart in a
long board. The end of the tank is 3.00 m beyond the board.
Where would you stand, relative to the perpendicular
bisector of the line between the openings, if you want to
receive little or no wave action?

Homework Equations

xn represent the horizontal distance between the perpendicular bisector drawn to the line joining the two sources and the nth nodal line
λ=(Xn/L)(d/n-0.5)

Answer is 1.25m

The Attempt at a Solution

λ=3.0m
L=3.0m
d=5.0m

I got stuck since i don't know which nodal line(n)

Physics news on Phys.org
that I should use. I thought of using n=1 but then the equation would give me a negative number. Can someone please guide me on this question?

is the one I'm looking for

I would recommend standing at a distance of 1.25 meters from the perpendicular bisector of the line between the two openings. This is because at this distance, the nth nodal line will be located at the opening, resulting in little or no wave action. This can be calculated using the equation λ=(Xn/L)(d/n-0.5), where Xn is the horizontal distance between the perpendicular bisector and the nth nodal line, L is the distance between the two openings, and d is the distance between the openings and the end of the tank. By setting n=1 and plugging in the given values, we can solve for Xn and get the desired distance of 1.25 meters from the perpendicular bisector. This will ensure minimal wave action and provide accurate and reliable results for the experiment.

What is 2D wave interference?

2D wave interference is a phenomenon where two or more waves intersect and interact with each other, resulting in a new wave pattern. This can occur with any type of wave, including light, sound, and water waves. In 2D interference, the waves are traveling in two dimensions, such as on the surface of water or in the x-y plane.

What causes 2D wave interference?

2D wave interference occurs when two or more waves with the same frequency, amplitude, and wavelength intersect at a certain angle. This causes the waves to either reinforce or cancel each other, resulting in a new wave pattern with areas of high and low intensity.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency intersect and combine to form a new wave with a higher amplitude. This results in areas of increased intensity or brightness in the new wave pattern. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency intersect and cancel each other out, resulting in areas of decreased intensity or darkness in the new wave pattern.

How does the phase difference between waves affect 2D interference?

The phase difference, or the difference in the starting point of two intersecting waves, can greatly affect 2D interference. When the waves have a phase difference of 0 or a multiple of 2π, they will constructively interfere and create areas of high intensity. However, when the phase difference is an odd multiple of π, the waves will destructively interfere and create areas of low intensity.

What are some real-life examples of 2D wave interference?

Some common examples of 2D wave interference include the patterns created by overlapping ripples on the surface of water, the diffraction patterns observed in double-slit experiments with light, and the sound patterns produced by overlapping speakers in a stereo system. Other examples can be seen in nature, such as the colorful patterns created by the overlapping wings of butterflies or the interference patterns produced by pebbles on the ocean floor.